We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need a card with a chip!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kent, OH
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
I need a card with a chip!

On my most recent trip to Amsterdam that a lot of places no longer accept magnetic strip cards - only cards with a microchip. I travel to Amsterdam frequently, and it would be really helpful to get a chipped card. Any advice on getting one in the US? A prepaid card would be fine, but my bank doesn't offer chipped cards yet and neither does AAA. Any advice would be helpful.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,971 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I need a card with a chip!

yes, call banks until you find on that does...one of the dutch banks, ING, has branches in the states..perhaps give them a try.

Kent, OH
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need a card with a chip!

ING is my main bank and the first one I called. Sadly, their European operations are an entirely separate group and they have no options for chipped cards in the US. I've called 4 banks (all my credit cards) and AAA, but no luck so far.

Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need a card with a chip!

This is becoming a bigger and bigger problem for US travelers. Technically any place that accepts Visa, MC, Chase, or AMEX is supposed to accept the old swipe & sign, reality is that many find it a PITA and don't, knowing that there's no way the CC companies would actually enforce it due to the heavy loss of business. Really surprising that the credit cards attached to the freq flyer programs don't offer something.

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I need a card with a chip!

I just read an article about this a couple of days ago.

The jist of the article was that no US bank currently has plans to offer the chipped cards because of the expense. It stated that the old cards should still work for hotel stays but not in things like vending machines. One expert was quoted as saying that he thought one or two US banks might offer such cards in the future, but no time frame was mentioned.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need a card with a chip!

Why not take a drive up to Canada? Credit cards and debit cards have chips here now and I'm sure with ID (and a letter of reference from your current bank wouldn't hurt) you'd be able to open an account here...

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need a card with a chip!

The CC companies insist that even without a chip, you should be able to use your CC anywhere in the world, and if you do not have a chip facility you can always swipe and sign. In The Netherlands, this is still the case, but you will have to carry photo ID. And you do not need a chip to take money out of an ATM.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,048 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need a card with a chip!

Yes, but even for that 'for how long'. All European debit cards will changeover to chip (EMV model) within 2-3 years and after that herds of ATM's will follow accepting only chip, for foreign credit cards too. And the few other machines accepting credit card, like the NS ticket vending machines at Schiphol, already demand chip.

I'm with the Canadians on this ;-) If a country that size can changeover why not the US, albeit step by step? Even payphone booths and DSL Internet in US are now slowly getting ' modern', push the banks a bit more to start it with credit cards too ;-)

Regards,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,971 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I need a card with a chip!

uuuh...because canada has 30 million people and usa 300 million?..eventually usa will have to change but the cost to change out all credit card machines, make all ATMs usable for chip and swipe im sure is something they ( the banks) dont want to deal with right now...if they go to chip only ATM's in europe that would be a bummer...would have to start carring a huge wad of cash again to europe..

9. Re: I need a card with a chip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 06:18