We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip: Historic Triangle or Arnhem Open-Air Museum?

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip: Historic Triangle or Arnhem Open-Air Museum?

My friend and I are looking to take a day trip from Amsterdam. Originally the choice was the Open-Air Museum at Arnhem, but I began to wonder if we might prefer the Historic Triangle, which combines two towns and a different (and by some accounts, lesser) open-air museum, with a steamboat and old fashioned train ride. We are two 30 year olds, if our ages may be a factor in getting people to lean more toward one choice than the other.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, it's a tough choice!

Edited: 12 August 2010, 02:59
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip: Historic Triangle or Arnhem Open-Air Museum?

what is the historic triangle? never heard of it...

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip: Historic Triangle or Arnhem Open-Air Museum?

I think the Historic Triangle (had to look up what this was btw!) might have more to offer. I have never done the touristy thing there but have visited family and Hoorn has a nice centre. Also being able to take the steam train and boat will add more to the trip. And the Zuiderzee museum is actually quite popular I believe.

I visited the open air museum in Arnhem last year and liked it but it wouldn't be my top choice for a foreign tourist. It's not that big and there are no added extras like boat/train rides. There are some old fashioned trams that you can use for trasport through the museum.

If you do decide to go to Arnhem and you like zoos you could buy a combi ticket for the museum and the zoo. They are in walking distance from each other.

You could also combine Arnhem with Nijmegen (the oldest city in the Netherlands, although there is dispute with Maastricht about that!).

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip: Historic Triangle or Arnhem Open-Air Museum?

Hoorn is a very nice town with a very rich sea faring tradition although I find the countryside around it to be rather dull and boring. Enkhuizen is also an attractive place (is the steam train still running??) and a trip on the water is always appreciated.

I think that the Historic Triangle tour will offer more than the Open-Air Museum in Arnhem, but only if the train is running for sure. And much will depend on when you plan to do the trip; not much fun in November, I would imagine! ;-)

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip: Historic Triangle or Arnhem Open-Air Museum?

Thanks everyone.

Stuietoo, the steam train is still running according to their website. We would be going in late September. Would you recommend just taking the train from Hoorne to Medemblik, then the bus back to Hoorne, and from there back to Amsterdam? You don't seem too enthused about the latter half of the journey haha.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,819 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip: Historic Triangle or Arnhem Open-Air Museum?

If the train runs usually so does the Medemblik-Hoorn boat. That's the best way to do the triangle, boat times are planned to match train arrival in Medemblik.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip: Historic Triangle or Arnhem Open-Air Museum?

I agree with Erk; if the train is running the boat will also be there so enjoy the entire trip as intended.

Certainly not trying to put you off!! ;-)

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip: Historic Triangle or Arnhem Open-Air Museum?

Stuietoo, one more thing...you mention that the scenery around Hoorne is "rather dull and boring". Won't that be the countryside the old train takes us through? I was hoping for (and led to believe I could expect) a somewhat scenic journey starring cows, sheep, horses, etc. Is this not the case?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip: Historic Triangle or Arnhem Open-Air Museum?

If cows are your thing, then I am sure that you will find the scenery attractive! ;-)

The scenery is flat and boring - and in my view - a little scruffy offering nothing in particular; but I hail from Scotland where we put the "eeee" into scenery! My partner comes from Hoorn and even he things the surrounding countryside is unattractive; eyes of the beholder etc..!

I haven't been on the train itself and cannot comment on the precise nature of the landscape; my observations are from simply driving through the area (many times).

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip: Historic Triangle or Arnhem Open-Air Museum?

Many people who live in the centre of Amsterdam find the countryside of Holland pretty boring. They also can't stand the smell of animals and get sick when they are further away than 300 m from a coffeeshop :)

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,792 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip: Historic Triangle or Arnhem Open-Air Museum?

In Stu's case he just gets nervous if he is more than 100m from an available taxi :-)