We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Breakfast in Amsterdam?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Best Breakfast in Amsterdam?

This is such a common question that I though perhaps a thread with folks favourite places might be useful. I know that there are threads about breakfast near such and such hotel etc but perhaps we could compile a comprehensive list.

I never eat breakfast in town as I live here so anyone have a good place to suggest?Perhaps if you also said why you liked it and what kind of food they serve etc. Thanks

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,654 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Breakfast in Amsterdam?

For me it has to be Coffee Connection on Nieuwezijds Kolk.

http://hilton.org.uk/amsterdam.phtml

Not strictly a breakfast place, it opens at 8am. To my mind it has the best coffee in Amsterdam and their bacon and brie ciabattas are sensationally good.

Edited: 25 October 2010, 13:53
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,910 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Breakfast in Amsterdam?

this is not breakfast in the traditional sense ( bacon, eggs, etc )..but i like hitting up melly's cookie bar in the morning. EXCELLENT coffee..and a wide assortment of cookies, brownies...near dam square.

http://www.mellyscookiebar.nl/

Hilversum, The...
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Breakfast in Amsterdam?

For breakfast and lunch. @7 in the Scheldestraat. I had to stay in a hotel near the RAI for a whole week and at this place I could even get my regular yoghurt with fruit and cereal and a sandwich with hagelslag.

http://www.at7online.nl/

Also had breakfast at Meneer Nilsson (across the entrance at Artis). Also nice, lots of choice. Close to the city.

Apperently Hema does breakfast now too. For 1 euro you get a coffee, a croissant and a baguette. Only at Hema's with a restaurant.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Breakfast in Amsterdam?

the best breakfast IMO is whwn i maek my Blueberry pancakes with the smoked bacon i get ont he Overtoom yum yum

iknow bacon is already smoked, but for some reason it jsut tastes really good,

Edited: 25 October 2010, 23:50
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Breakfast in Amsterdam?

Can we please not make this thread into what your favourite breakfast is. I really need to know good places in Amsterdam WHERE you have eaten, In your own kitchen does not count.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Breakfast in Amsterdam?

Since breakfast means different things to almost everyone, it is probably worth noting what people want to eat for breakfast. If you know that there is excellent coffee and croissants at one place and excellent scrambled eggs at another and a great selection of breakfast cereals elsewhere, then posters should say what they eat and where.

Many brown bars whose fare generally does not extend beyond a ham and cheese toastie, are now offering scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage or with salmon, all of which are very good.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Breakfast in Amsterdam?

Hi -

I copy this info from Stuie's post on the other thread, just to keep all the info in 1 thread:

<<Best breakfast can be found at 1st Klas, the brasserie on Platform 2 of the train station!>>

Regards - MMK

Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Breakfast in Amsterdam?

Susies Saloon do a great English Breakfast with plenty of toast and a tea/coffee for 9.50 (the last time I was there)

UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Breakfast in Amsterdam?

For me, Cafe Luxembourg (Spui) deserves a mention. Sunday mornings in particular. Decent enough standard breakfast fare, with prices ranging from something like Euro7.50 to Euro14.00 for one of the three set options if memory serves me well. A nice authentic, ambient Brown Cafe in a good central location.

Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Breakfast in Amsterdam?

Down a bit on Kalverstraat from Dam Square to the right on a little street is a Pannekoeken place, I think with a yellow awning. Cappuccino's are on the watery side, but pannekoeken's are excellent. Don't tell many people though cause it's usually pretty quiet in the mornings which is nice for getting work done. :-)