We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NH Hotels

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
NH Hotels

Which is the best NH hotel in Amsterdam (e.g. NH Amsterdam City Centre, NH Grand, NH Schiller or Carlton) in terms of best location, large and clean rooms and bathrooms, modern facilities and rooms, and close to public transportation? Are any of the NH hotels better than the Radisson. I'm trying to decide which hotel to stay at in Amsterdam. Thanks.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NH Hotels

If by the NH Grand you mean the Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky (Not to be confused by the Sofitel Grand, known locally as the Grand), then I think that you will find the Radisson Blu a better option.

All of the NH hotels listed are in busy locations or streets, especially the Krasnapolsky, Carlton and Schiller; the Radisson Blu is an oasis of calm by comparison, and it is an excellent hotel.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,040 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NH Hotels

The NH City Center is a 3 star hotel.

The NH Amsterdam Centre is a 4 star hotel.

Best is a relative term but I would suggest that a 4 or 5 star is more what you want than a 3 star.

I have stayed many nights in the Schiller ($88 USD a night) and the Amsterdam Centre ($69 USD a night). I really liked them both. Great locations. But I stayed in the more off season quiet period. I doubt I would love the location of the Schiller during a busy period. Noise in the square.

The location of the NH AMS Centre is darn near perfect for me. Hard to beat IMO. And I loved the hotel.

If you are curious as to how I (and many others here) got those drop dead great rates---- or how much you pay for your hotel----if that is an issue--- just ask.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NH Hotels

We are just back from a weekend at the Krasnapolsky which was very impressive (particularly as I got a rate of £69 per night for a single room!) Fantastic location right in the centre, yet room was quiet and very very comfortable, slept like a log every night. Breakfast was included which was a superb buffet in the beautiful winter garden.

Most places were walkable from there, and it had everything one would expect in a big hotel which has been recently refurbished.

Room was booked through justonehotel.com

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,946 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NH Hotels

breakfast included is a big deal since it usually costs about €28

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,040 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NH Hotels

".Room was booked through justonehotel.com"

Peggy, you did get a great deal.

I just did a search on that site for 6 nights during the off season of mid-March. Also for a single room. I got nothing close to what you got.

6 nights via justonehotel.com mid March:

NH Kras= 1314 euros

NH Amsterdam Centre=1662 euros

NH Carlton=1464 euros

Those are not what I would call a good deal. Not close.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,040 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NH Hotels

OK I see the trick to justonehotel.com. The good deals come closer to the date of travel.

I just did 6 nights starting Dec 5th.

Kras=810 euros

NH AMS Centre =606 euros

NH Carlton=564 euros

All with breakfast

Now these are pretty darn good deals

It said that if they could not book your room you would not be charged. So I am not quite sure what that means? Do they have these rooms to offer? Or not?

Off to do some googling on these guys.

Nice rates

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NH Hotels

Back to the OP's original question.

Down the years I have stayed at the following NH Hotels in Amsterdam....

1: (Grand) Krasnapolski - Arguably the most prestigious address in Amsterdam. A small number of their rooms are not up to standard, the vast majority are. Outstanding public areas. Service at reception can be slow.

2: Barbizon Palace - Nice modern hotel in a prime location just by Central Station. Decent size rooms.

3: Carlton - Formerly the Jolly. Modern hotel, again in prime location, rooms can be small.

4: NH Schiller - On Rembrandtplein, one of Amsterdam's main nightlife areas. Interesting art-deco style public areas. Avoid rooms at the front due to noise.

5: NH Amsterdam Center - On the southern edge of center, close to the other main nightlife area and most of the main museums. Used to be classed as 5* but, for the life of me, I never knew why.

In general, I'd say that they are a decent, well run, mid/upper range chain. I have never had any problems with dirty rooms or poor service. They can be found all over Europe and a few other locations. Spain is their home market.

If I have one criticism it is that I feel they haven't spent enough on modernisation in recent years. A good number of their rooms, whilst generally well equipped and maintained, are showing their age. CRT televisions, for example, are still the norm rather than LCD ones. This is probably as much to do with the economy as anything else.

Put against the Radisson, if the rates were the same, I'd certainly chose the Krasnapolski and possibly the Barbizon Palace above it. With the other three I'd probably go for the Radisson. That said, there is not a huge amount it it either way. If you can get a really good deal at any of the places then you'll be happy there.

Edited: 24 November 2010, 09:45
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,040 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NH Hotels

"Avoid rooms at the front due to noise."

AS far as the NH Schiller this advice really depends---IMO---on when they will be staying there.

14 nights in a front facing room at the Schiller-----and I slept like a baby. And I am one that has a real problem with too much noise.

But then I stayed there in the pretty dead quiet middle of Janurary.

In the off season I would always opt for a room at the front----unless they tried to charge me a 30 euro mark up. That is what those rooms go for----unless like me they just give it to you for free.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NH Hotels

Valid point John. I stayed there on a Saturday night in mid-summer. The noise from revellers outside didn't subside until around 4am. It wasn't long after that before the street cleaners started.

Suffice it to say I have had better nights sleep. :-)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,557 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NH Hotels

There is a christmas "Wonderland" in the Rembrandtplein at the moment . Unlike before when there were a lot of bushes and the statues it is pretty open so I would imagine that those front facing rooms at the Schiller would be pretty noisy right now until January.