We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best touristy place to stay in Amsterdam

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Best touristy place to stay in Amsterdam

Hi guys,

I'm going to Amsterdam with a friend for a few days. Check in 10th december, check out december 12 (or 13th if its easier to catch the train to Berlin the next day).

I basically want to know

1. Whats the best vicinity to stay in

2. We're looking for cheap hotels, whats good?

3. What's the best way to get around from place to place in Amsterdam?

4. What are the must 'do' things in Amsterdam as younger tourists?

We're basically in our early 20's. Our budget isn't high, but we're not interested in Hostels since we want a private room. (max of USD $230 for 3 nights).

Any help would be appreicated, thanks

A

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Amsterdam
Bike Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Friendship Amsterdam
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours
We Bike Amsterdam Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,801 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best touristy place to stay in Amsterdam

Indeed, you pay nothing until you have secured a room.

This is basically a way for hotels to shift rooms they wouldn't otherwise sell. If they advertised these rates normally the hotel would fill up but they'd lose revenue. Hence the fact that the name is kept secret until a bid is accepted and paid for.

Take a look at the last few pages of the 'Bidding on a 4*' thread to see what people are currently paying.

Edited: 26 November 2010, 16:28
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best touristy place to stay in Amsterdam

What you will end up paying is the result of many things-----well two really----how many rooms at what pricepoint the hotels have fed into the system----and how many are still there when you bid.

My "guess" is that you will get a win somewhere between $78 and $80 USD a night. You can do the conversion to pounds.

Who makes up the difference in price? No one does.

This is excess inventory the hotels are putting into the PL system. And they see getting $78 USD as better than having an empty room and getting nothing.

I do realize----$300 hotel rooms for $78---there must be a catch---actually there is not.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best touristy place to stay in Amsterdam

And yes----if you do not get a win----you are charged nothing for the try. But on the other hand once you get a win----you have paid for a room.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best touristy place to stay in Amsterdam

I do like the idea (and I'm surprised at how this week is the first I've heard of it). I suppose I could do that in most cities I'm going to in Europe can I not? Like Berlin, prague, madrid, barca, etc...

And as far as I know, you can only bid for a room for TWO people. If you have 3, tough break right? (I don't have 3.. I was just querying).

I'll have a bid soon, once I do a bit more prices into the room rates research.

From what I've seen, about $68 is the lowest you can get a room (which is a rarity that low.. but as you've mentioned about 78-80 seems to be norm. $40 per person is more than my $30.. but rather than that paying the same for some 1* or 2* hotel.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,333 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best touristy place to stay in Amsterdam

Priceline is available worldwide at least in major cities. I have used it in the US, Budapest and London. You may not always get such a good deal as you get in Amsterdam mainly because in places like Spain hotel rooms are cheaper anyway.

It is a good thing to use here because hotel prices are so high that as a percentage of the rack rate you can save up to 50%, sometimes more.

In other cities you may be better checking other sources. If you look on betterbidding.com and do a search under whatever place you are going to stay then there will usually be an indicator of recent wins there.

Please also be aware that the amount you bid will be subject to 5% Amsterdam city tax as do all hotel rooms here. There will also be a small charge levied by PL. so if you bid $80 for a room then expect to pay around $90 in total. Still a bargain.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best touristy place to stay in Amsterdam

Well I tried bidding lower than I should have, in the zone 2, with 4 star hotels, and it rejected it. Now.. do I have to wait 24 hours to rebid.. or can I continue upping my bid?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best touristy place to stay in Amsterdam

Every 24 hours. Unless you find someway around it.

At times I use the Mrs and her CC when I want a quick rebid.

You have plenty of time. No need to rush.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
227 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best touristy place to stay in Amsterdam

I put in about 44 pounds per night this time, and it said if I raise it to 60 I'll get it.. so I rejected it. I'll raise it to 50 max. Should I just raise it slowly or what?

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,801 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best touristy place to stay in Amsterdam

You did right to reject the counter offer.

Just up your bid by 2 pounds per day and you'll hit soon.

Edited: 28 November 2010, 10:54
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best touristy place to stay in Amsterdam

Listen to Brian. Slow slow slow on that increased bidding.

Sometimes it only take that one additional euro/pound/dollar to get a win.

Rushing will end up costing you money.