We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Recommendations for side trips from Amsterdam

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need Recommendations for side trips from Amsterdam

I plan to rent a car and do a road trip outside of Amsterdam for 4-5 days during the first week of Jan 2011.

I like to see nature, the real Netherdlands and places with history, culture and heritage.

I may also do a side trip to Germany - would definitely appreciate your recommendations!

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Recommendations for side trips from Amsterdam

I'll start you off with this:

http://tinyurl.com/29rw6qd

Let us know if you develop any specific questions.

Enjoy,

chuck.

Edited: 02 December 2010, 17:43
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Recommendations for side trips from Amsterdam

I see that you are from Toronto, so no novelty I suppose in driving around boring landscape covered in a foot of snow!

The history, culture and heritage of this land are not found by driving around our flat uninteresting ( and at this time of year, unattractive) countryside, but by visiting the museums, art galleries and other cultural venues in our cities, all of which are easily and comfortably reached by means of the national train system. www.ns.nl will allow you to schedule and price your visits, which should, in my view, include the cities of Maastricht, Utrecht and Groningen. Add to that the further towns of Enschede, Breda and Vlissingen or even Rotterdam , should you be looking to redefine boredom.

One gem in all of this gloom could be a visit to the Place at Het Loo ( paleishetloo.nl/templates/frontpage/page.asp… ) close to Apeldoorn, but even that is reachable by train and bus.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Recommendations for side trips from Amsterdam

And if you think that I am kidding about the landscape in winter, check this: schlijper.nl/101202-39-ransdorperdiep.photo

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,746 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Recommendations for side trips from Amsterdam

I do disagree, winter landscapes in Holland are beautiful :)

henkdeboer.punt.nl/upload/Schaatspret_8.JPG

…fotopedia.com/bamn64k16ga6n-4EZbu_S7lNo-ima…

almerevandaag.nl/multimedia/dynamic/00885/AL…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Recommendations for side trips from Amsterdam

So buy a calendar or a post card !! (and the first link doesn't open)

Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
421 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Recommendations for side trips from Amsterdam

Agree with the above on museums, both art and history. A brewery visit might also be interesting. Zevenaar might be worth a visit if you're planning to head towards Germany anyway. They used to have an old brick factory that was kind of interesting (and if you like the movie Knights tale, this is where William "Sir Ulrich von Liechtenstein" says he's from even though he's not Sir Ulrich von Zevenaar.)

Any other time of year you could visit Zaanse Schans. A bit kitchy, but still interesting.

Edited: 03 December 2010, 22:58
Zeist, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Recommendations for side trips from Amsterdam

Hi,

Agree with most of the above. Paleis 'Het Loo' is great place, all Museums in Amsterdam too. Cities which are a must see

- Haarlem (Teylers Museum is a great place -- UNESCO world heritage candidate)

- Maastricht (just the most beautifull city in NL IMHO -- any advice on Hotels here, please send me a DM)

- When is has been freezing you should opt for going to 'Friesland', especially the city of "Sneek' , lot's of skating on the lakes and canals

Have fun.

Alrik

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Recommendations for side trips from Amsterdam

Find a detailed map of The Netherlands and draw yourself a route starting at Amsterdam. Travel north through Alkmaar, Hoorn, Enkhuisen and across the span damming what was the Zuider Zee from the North Sea. Drive to Groningen then Borg and Westerborg, the Veen Park(google as it may not be open during winter) .South to Zwolle and Hasselt and east to Appeldoor

n. While you are in that area visit the van Gogh museum and the sculpture garden in the very large park - The Hooge Veluwe. Head east to Arnhem and 'sHeerenberg and over the border into Germany.

Back into The Netherlands at Maastricht and visit this area and Valkenburg, across to the Biesbosch and maybe south to Middelburg, across to Cadzaandz,(the Canadians fought here, I think), through the tunnel to Breskens,(there is a memorial near here at Hoofdorp, for the Canadians )Aardenburg and Oostburg before heading north to Amsterdam.

There is lots to see wherever you drive, not just flat uninterresting countryside. Google all of those places and ask some more questions.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Recommendations for side trips from Amsterdam

wow that's truly a different perspective of holland, thanks for sharing the photos!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Recommendations for side trips from Amsterdam

thanks everyone for your advices. i've started googling the places you have all suggested, they are all great places and is very beautiful. nice!

I will come back with more questions.

in the mean time, where is the best place to skate and see windmills - i saw the picture Ger_Holland posted, it looks amazing. Can you tell me where it was taken?