We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queen's Day - love it or hate it?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Queen's Day - love it or hate it?

I am debating if I should include my dates around Queen's Day or avoid it.

I understand it's quite a street fest but that you won't expect to do much else. You're lucky to get around very well, several things are closed, many things are at a standstill. But it's also joyous and a lot of fun.

I went to Mardi Gras once and don't see the need to return (Nawlins at other times, sure).

Thoughts? I mostly want this week for the tulips.

Thanks.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Queen's Day - love it or hate it?

mardi gras is just an excuse for people to party and get falling down drunk..queens day is a national celebration much like our 4th of july..its great seeing all the dutch in a party mode, dressed in orange,celebrating their heritage...bands all over town..street performers, people having yard sales in front of their canal houses.....that one day who cares if nothing is open..walk around and celebrate with the dutch!!..wear something orange..to answer your question..i love it!!

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,744 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queen's Day - love it or hate it?

i agree with Steve, its a wonderful day , that is unique and only once a year!!!!

I have a sneaky feeling that you have already made up your mind! :):

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Queen's Day - love it or hate it?

it may be a moot point anyway..if you decide to come over during queens day week you better lock down accomodations soon..its not only tourists that come into amsterdam...dutch citizens pour in as well...rooms could be scarce..

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,706 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queen's Day - love it or hate it?

IMO its not to be missed. See it at least once.

For me once was enough. Although I would gladly go again if I were taking a newbie. But I am so very glad I did it that one time.

A wonderful day.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queen's Day - love it or hate it?

I have been to Nawlins for Mardi Gras; ditto Sydney; Paris on Bastille Day; Singapore for Chinese New Year; none can hold a candle to QD in Amsterdam (provided the weather is kind, of course!!) ;-)

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,805 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queen's Day - love it or hate it?

<<<<love it or hate it?

I wish I knew. Someday I will be able to answer the question.

I look gooood in orange :)

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queen's Day - love it or hate it?

Well I guess you have just inspired me, I have just booked 30th - 3rd I tried to get the 29th but flight was too expensive.

I have been coming to Amsterdam for over 25 years but this will be my first Queens day and I had already booked for middle of March, ah well here we go again.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Queen's Day - love it or hate it?

LJ-you making the 400 mile journey in 5 legs this time? or are you flying straight in to schiphol?....;-)

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Queen's Day - love it or hate it?

Nope im doing it the hard way in March and the easy easyjet way straight into schiphol for Queens.

TheHague
Level Contributor
928 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Queen's Day - love it or hate it?

Queens Day - an excuse for 1 million out-of-towner suburban and farmer white trash to descend on Amsterdam (a city I like to avoid at the best of times) whilst dressed up like idiots, then walk around aimlessly with cans of warm Heineken. Not my idea of fun.

I can understand why Queens Day in Amsterdam and Queens Night in the rest of the country might appeal to the locals (probably those with a full lobotomy, lol) and to the tourist, however, I make firm plans every year to completely avoid the country during that time.

The only Queens Day I regret missing was the one around 1999 when the train system collapsed and all the white trash rioted along Damrak because they couldn't catch their trains home back to Enkhuizen, Hoofdorp, Ijmuiden etc etc.