We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what are OV-Jaakaart, NS-reisrecht, Bahncard 25-100 cards

California
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
what are OV-Jaakaart, NS-reisrecht, Bahncard 25-100 cards

If I book with http://www.nshispeed.nl/en I can get a discount on my reservation...What kind of cards are those?

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what are OV-Jaakaart, NS-reisrecht, Bahncard 25-100 cards

The only discount card available in NL is the NS Kortingskaart (Discount card).

This entitles you to a 40% on all travel after 9.00 am Mon-Fri and all day at weekends. You cant buy it from outside NL and you have to have a Dutch bank account to get one. It only works in NL and doesn't apply on the Thalys.

The OV-Jaarkaart is a chip card which you load with money and use to travel. On its own it doesn't give any discount.

Bahncard comes from German railways. I don't know what the restrictions are.

I've never head of NS-reisrecht.

Edited: 14 February 2011, 16:11
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what are OV-Jaakaart, NS-reisrecht, Bahncard 25-100 cards

Small corrections, first not relevant for the question: the OV jaarkaart is something totally different from the OV chipcard. It's a card costing 4,000 euro/year for unlimited travel in the country, and hence also for the domestic part of the hispeed journey.

The off-peak discount card CAN however be bought freely by tourists. In cash at the counter, and valid immediately. Renewal indeed requires a Dutch bank account. Costs 55 euro, but valid for upto 4 people travelling together.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya] / now with one OV jaarkaart but the boss pays a lot less for it than 4,000, volume discounts....

California
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what are OV-Jaakaart, NS-reisrecht, Bahncard 25-100 cards

is the train service good and reliable? is it a very slim chance that there may be train cancellation on the city night line for amsterdam to prague and back?

I will be going in May 2011

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what are OV-Jaakaart, NS-reisrecht, Bahncard 25-100 cards

I stand corrected on my card naming Eric, I did of course mean the OV Chipkaart.

That said, having tried for two different people in the past year I can tell you without any doubt that NS will not now accept your kortingskaart application unless there are valid bank account details on it. This wasn't the case previously, I'll agree.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what are OV-Jaakaart, NS-reisrecht, Bahncard 25-100 cards

Hmmm... on the discount card, the NS site still says

ns.nl/cs/…

So that means we'd need to file an official complaint?

Tnx,

<Erik>

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what are OV-Jaakaart, NS-reisrecht, Bahncard 25-100 cards

Okay, you're right. On the Dutch site faq now it says

"Kan ik mijn Voordeelurenabonnement elk jaar contact aan de NS balie betalen?

Dit is alleen de eerste keer bij het eerste jaar mogelijk. NS heeft te allen tijde uw nederlandse bank- of girorekening nodig om jaarlijks automatisch de afschrijving te laten plaatsvinden. Zonder nederlands bank- of girorekeningnummer kunt u geen Voordeelurenabonnement aanschaffen."

So will change the TA faq's, another totally foolish and totally tourist-unfriendly action of NS. The reason is they aim at repeat customers (who will pay automatically next year), not at one-time customers hence tourists...

Tnx,

<Erik>

7. Re: what are OV-Jaakaart, NS-reisrecht, Bahncard 25-100 cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2012, 20:17