We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee Shops

Dublin, Ireland
9 posts
Save Topic
Coffee Shops

are they all strictly over 18s? or would i be able to get served i am 17 all i want to do is chill with a joint and relax not cause trouble,i look around 18 and get served drink in pubs back home

cheers

Likely To Sell Out
Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields...
1,740 Reviews
from US$73.20*
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Volendam...
2,390 Reviews
from US$73.20*
Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum Amsterdam...
14 Reviews
from US$21.70*
Special Offer
Zaans Schans Windmills, Tulips...
459 Reviews
from US$122.80*
US$146.40
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,345 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee Shops

coffee shops are so paranoid about losing their licenses and added to that there is the threat of closing them off to tourists that they will probably card you if you look 30. so you could try to get in..but you may get carded.

Dublin, Ireland
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee Shops

cheers

but i get that answer alot,is every coffee shop as paranoid as the rest?

Fairfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee Shops

My experience in the past is young men get ID's checked and young girls don't if they are cute enough.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee Shops

Yes most shops are that paranoid. There have been several shops closed down in the last few years because of minors. Also, the government already wants to limit the shops to Dutch residents only. This is only fuel for the fire. On my last three trips I have been inside a shop when they came in for a search. Anyone that looked under 18 was asked for ID. I don't know what the penalty is for a minor but I doubt if it's a slap on the wrist. Another thing, most of the larger clubs are 18+ and some are 21+. You might find it hard to get in as they ID just about everyone. If you're traveling with someone who is of age, stay outside and have them go in. Then take your purchase to a park, smoker friendly bar or hotel.

Peace,

Balou

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,865 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee Shops

The penalty for the coffee shop is closure for serving minors so they just don't risk it.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
563 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee Shops

sorry for hijacking the thread and this may sound a stupid question , do the coffeeshops actually sell coffee

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee Shops

Yes they sell coffee.

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee Shops

i have seen people carded most trips, men and women although it could be that you can hang out there but not partake of the special menu.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coffee Shops

"although it could be that you can hang out there but not partake of the special menu."

Nope, no one under 18 is allowed inside a coffeeshop.

Peace,

Balou

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,729 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coffee Shops

If you have any respect for the shops then stay out.

A lot of people lose when a shop is shut down.