We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking subjective travel opinions

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking subjective travel opinions

You guys seem to have great advice and provided great answers to previous questions asked. So i thought i'd present my scenario and get opinions knowing that it may be vague and subjective.

I'm headed to Amsterdam next month for 7 full days. Some background on my traveler profile - i'm 31yo gay single male, i've travelled within Canada and US,but this is my first trip to Europe. The reason I chose Amsterdam was both for praticalities (good flight/hotel/easy to get around city/ ease of getting by as an English speaker) but also for wants (because i took a couple of Dutch culture classes back in University days and think its going to be a neat city to sociologically explore) and to get away and relax (slower pace) but to be stimulated as well (haha I didnt mean it THAT way)

Touristy things are ok i dont mind museums, but I just like wandering in different environments/neoighbourhoods blending in... finding neat things along the way..Maybe an urban adventurer i guess? so i dont think Amsterdam will dissapoint!!(ie interested in seeing Jordaan and yes a place like the Red Light District). So this all being said.... my hotels are beside Amsterdam-Zuid... so i'm wondering if it would be worth it to get a rail pass and break up the 7 days? I'm looking around at places within a few hours by train (Cologne, Brussels, Antewerp) but.. I dont think i want to get further out because I dont all the time monopolized by travel.. but nothings really grabbing me right now.. so thats why i thought id seek opinions out.

So.... would you:

1) Spend all 7 days in Amsterdam area and soak it all in

2) Spend 3-4 days in Amsterdam and hit up various regions of Netherlands

3) Spend 3-4 days in Amsterdam and take 1 day trips into Brussels and Cologne..(gravitating more towards Belgium as my French is functional for Brusses and south Belgium and realy on English in Northern Belgium -but no german language skills for germany)

Any feedback would be great!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
129 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking subjective travel opinions

I'd spend all seven days in Amsterdam. There is so much to see and do. It's best done at a slow pace.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking subjective travel opinions

seven days in amsterdam...throw in a couple day trips to surrounding towns...

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,706 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking subjective travel opinions

Yes on the 7 days in AMS. It will go by all to quick.

But I would do a day trip or two.

There are many interesting----well let me say----folks say they are interesting--- cities close by----myself I never get out of Amsterdam.

Easy to get to and from via train.

Depending on your interests I am sure you will get a few good suggestions.

There is nothing like that first visit.

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking subjective travel opinions

All 7 days in Amsterdam. It is a great city to wander through.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking subjective travel opinions

I would just see how you feel once you are here.

If you then decide you want to get out of town for a day, it is no big deal to jump onto a train to anywhere in the country or indeed Belgium and Germany. As long as you are using the regular IC trains rather than the high speed ones you don't save any money by booking in advance.

By the way, I'd scratch Brussels from your list. It is very boring. Antwerp is a much more interesting city.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,745 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking subjective travel opinions

I think I would spend all the time at Amsterdam as I like museums as well as wandering around.

If I would decide for a day trip I would skip Brussel too, Antwerp or Brugge are much nicer.

And as I´m pretty biased I would suggest to go to Cologne, there are some fast trains (ICE) running directly to Cologne but it´s not very cheap if you book short termed. Cologne is a very interesting and a pretty international city, and they have some popular gay areas in the Altstadt and around Rudolphplatz (don´t ask me more details, no idea:-)). I don´t think that you would have great difficulties without german language skill, meanwhile many Germans have at least some basic knowledge in English. And I ´m sure you would survive this day without German:-)).You can leave Amsterdam at 7:04 am and the last train back to Amsterdam runs at 20:46. (8:46pm).

Enjoy

patara01

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking subjective travel opinions

My vote would be to stay in Amsterdam for the entire 7 days. It is an amazing city and won't disappoint! As the gay capital of Europe, you'll feel like a kid in a candy shop! Lots of clubs, museums, people watching, good food, spontaneous street entertainment, coffeeshops (The Other Side is run by these wonderful gay guys!), canal boat tours (take at least 2!).

If you must take a day trip, I'd suggest going to Den Haag (The Hague) to the Mauritshuis museum (home to Vermeer's "Girl With A Pearl Earring" painting, among many other famous works), or the M.C. Escher museum, which I found to be one of the best museums I've ever visited! Easily reachable via train from Centraal station....about 1 hr each way.

Edited: 21 April 2011, 19:20
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking subjective travel opinions

I agree that you can spend a full week in Amsterdam. But if you want to do some daytrips, I would reconsider the cities.

Antwerp is indeed more interesting than Brussels. Bruges is the prime tourist destination in Belgium, and the prettiest. But also very very touristic and it doesn't have an urban feeling that you might look for.

For Germany, I would pick Düsseldorf instead of Cologne. It has a more cosmopolitan feeling, great nightlife and better beer (my personal opinion). And English is widely spoken there, same is in the cities that you mention in Belgium btw.

9. Re: Seeking subjective travel opinions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 03:16