We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help!!!!!!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Please Help!!!!!!

Hello,

We are a group of 21 ladies, travelling to Amsterdam over the Easter weekend, arriving Friday and departing Sunday. We booked our accommodation in November, and have confirmation of this, and have since booked flights and transport to and from airports. However, when we contacted the hotel last week, to check on our booking we were told that the hotel had made an error and our booking had not been put on to the hotel's booking system. Therefore, there is no room for us in the hotel. Obviously with less than a week to go we're all in a panic and haven't slpet for 2 nights :( The hotel owner has assured us that he is trying to find us alternative accommodation but both ourselves and our hotel booking agents have been unable to contact him in the past 24 hours. I'm wondering if:

a) anyone knows where we stand legally in terms of our contract with the hotel?

b) anyone has any suggestions for alternative accommodation?

We are absolutley devastated as this weekend is a surprise for a bride to be and a lot of time and money has gone in to planning the weekend :((

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,633 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help!!!!!!

Phew 21 ladies. I have a spare room ;-)

It could be a tall order especially at short notice and over a holiday weekend. Amsterdam is usually rammed at Easter. Legally I don't know and in any case that would mean you consulting a lawyer here if you had to sue. This is not a litigious society so it is not common for people to sue and it can cost a lot to take people to court. Also depends on the t&C's of your contract with the (which?) hotel. In any case I think your contract will be with the booking agent.

What is your budget per room per night? Do you need 21 rooms or are you going to share? You will likely have to split people over a number of hotels.

Good luck, I have the feeling you will need it.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help!!!!!!

We've checked and our contract is with the hotel and we have an email from the hotel manager admitting it was an error on their part. We're looking for a minimum of seven triple rooms. At the moment we're just waiting for the booking agent to contact the hotel again. In desparation we're thinking of 21 of us just turning up at his hotel with our booking documents and making camp in his hotel lobby! ha ha

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,633 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help!!!!!!

I just had a look at the most common web site I normally use for booking and it does not bode well for you. Seems to be very little availability and what there is is either very high end or very expensive or both.

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help!!!!!!

I've just gone onto booking.com which I normally use. Only comes up with HEM Hotel with 10 double rooms and a single, but over 6000 euros.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,093 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help!!!!!!

Which hotel was it? Knowing that it "might" help with the advice.

Seems to me it is something they would have to make good----one way or another.

How do you misplace reservations for that many people? And that many rooms?

Oregon
Level Contributor
549 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help!!!!!!

Did you pay deposits of any sort on these rooms? Any travel insurance?

I know this might be a bit inconvenient for a short stay, but if it's your only option to continue and not lose flight money etc., have you checked smaller surrounding towns within reasonable distance? (Watch for any special holiday schedule reductions, though.) Delft maybe? (Beware of the major construction works around the main train station there, bit of a mess. And maybe too small for your large party.) Or The Hague? Adding the additional time to get back to your hotel might be a bummer, though, if you're wanting to stay out late having fun in Amsterdam. The trains become even less frequent after a certain time of night, and you could end up waiting quite a while for one, even on top of the travel time on each end.

I agree with the others, though. This is a really tough one. The combination of the size of your party (and really, how DO you lose that many reservations? It sounds like they don't do business very well to start with!) and the Easter weekend is strongly working against you. I really feel for you. You thought you had it all set and someone pulls the rug out from under you at the last moment. Well, I do suppose it could have been worse--you could have found out with all of you standing there waiting for check in--but that doesn't make dealing with it any more fun at present. Best of luck to you.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,633 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Help!!!!!!

I really think you should name and shame the hotel to perhaps prevent this happening to others. Could have beena one off but we will never know if we are unaware of the hotel.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,949 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Help!!!!!!

yes, time to name and shame...i can guarantee you they will get wind of this post on TA...

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,093 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Help!!!!!!

And name and shame goes like this:

"Hotel (insert name) A Giant Rip Off and Incompetent"

That would be the title of the thread here. And believe me that will show up in any google for that hotel.

21x that=lots of bad pub.

Of course this is not your only venue. 21TA reviews would help also.

Plus the other forums and outlets out there.

This would become my life's work if I were in your shoes.

Will this get you relief?

Depends maybe on how well you explain this to the hotel right now before it is to late.

The name?

Of course maybe they are working to resolve this as we type. If so they should be able to tell you that asap.

Then I would be seeing a lawyer if this did not work out and you lost your $$$ for flights etc or ended up spending $100's more for a new hotel-----assuming you could fine one.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,195 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please Help!!!!!!

How does a hotel "lose" a reservation that big? That has got to be at least 7 rooms. I wonder if the OP got a good rate by booking so early and the hotel realized that they could get a much higher rate closer to the arrival date and just rebooked the rooms to other people, hoping that the OP wouldn't raise a stink about it. It just sounds so bad!