We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

don't want to get lost

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
don't want to get lost

howzit,

im comming to Amsterdam and Brussles on May 7 for 6 days. anyone know any hotels close to the rail or attractions for a decent price, quality of the room is not important.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Mauro Mansion
Mauro Mansion
#4 of 378 hotels in Amsterdam
Hotel Sebastian's
Hotel Sebastian's
#5 of 378 hotels in Amsterdam
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
#6 of 378 hotels in Amsterdam
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: don't want to get lost

Tke a look at the Top Question to the right "Can you suggest a cheap hotel?" then come back to us once you have read that.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: don't want to get lost

im looking in the 85 euros range

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: don't want to get lost

Best advice I can give is to use Priceline NYOP as detailed in the article linked from Top Questions. You should be able to get a central 4* for that. Failing that somewhere like the 1* Cornerhouse might fit the bill.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,737 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: don't want to get lost

Please do not pick a hotel because of a worry that you might get lost.

Its a small easy to get around city, with lots of maps available, and people that speak great English if you do get lost.

And getting lost in AMS-----something most of us have done a few times----is a delight.

All central areas are safe and walkable.

Your best bet is found in the suggestion Brian gave you-----Priceline NYOP bidding.

But if you want to book direct at a hotel for 85 euros you would have no problem at a 2** for a small single room. A double means a 1* I would guess.

But at that price-----you may have to go a little higher for a 1 or 2 * double especially on a weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Amsterdam Airport...
Schiphol, The Netherlands
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: don't want to get lost

I've just booked stayokay next to the park, even though its not near the station you get a good breakfast, your own loo if you want it, and its cheap, 72 euro or less depending on what room you want. Taking my daughter for her 18th, it wouldn't be my first choice! Its no problem finding your way around, there are signposts and lots of people only too willing to help you get about. Go for experience rather than location

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,093 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: don't want to get lost

Maybe you need one of these!!

http://www.citynavigators.com/

Edited: 20 April 2011, 22:31
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: don't want to get lost

Those two cities are relatively small. I do not believe you will get lost.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: don't want to get lost

I got lost driving in Brussels....what a nightmare! Couldn't find my way back onto the main highway.....signs in the city proper saying "this way" to the main highway....then....NOTHING. I was hysterical laughing (along with my Belgian host!) because it seemed no matter how carefully we followed signs, we kept driving in circles. To this day, I can still make myself smile thinking about our giggle-fest every time we once again came upon the great dome of The Koekelberg! I would not consider Brussels a small city at all.

Amsterdam, on the other hand, is a relatively small city. You could walk from one side of the center (the old city) to the other within 40mins. Most of the tourist attractions are located within or just outside the canal ring, so that's where you're best staying. The canal ring (find yourself a map) consists of 3 concentric nearly circular canals....the Herengracht, Keizergracht, and Prinsengracht.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Prinsengracht Hotel
Prinsengracht Hotel
485 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: don't want to get lost

The assumption is the OP will not be driving.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: don't want to get lost

Thanks for all the advice advisors =) , seems both cities are relatively small and we should get around ok. cant wait to enjoy the new journey.