We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question regarding Strippenkaart Tickets on Trams

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Question regarding Strippenkaart Tickets on Trams

When I visited Amsterdam in 2007, I used to hand over my Strippenkaart strip to the tram personnel (conductor?) and he would stamp the card. Does it work the same way today or does one have to stamp the card oneself?

I will be walking a lot and using the tram to get round and about the city center. I think it would be two strips for a trip by tram in the city center?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,204 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question regarding Strippenkaart Tickets on Trams

strip tickets are no longer in use in amsterdam. you must now use chipkaarts or pay in cash for each individual ride.

gvb.nl/english/…Ticketsandfares.aspx

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question regarding Strippenkaart Tickets on Trams

I am so glad I asked and thank you for bringing me up-to-date on tickets currently used in Amsterdam, Steve.

I see from the website that chipkaarts can be bought at the GVB outlsets. That means I will not be able to buy it at a tabagie type of store in the station like I did with the strip tickets?

Since I will be in Amsterdam for 2.and a half days, staying in the Jordaan district and travelling to and from Central Station on the tram a couple of times a day and maybe to a couple of places within the ciity center, I think it would it be advisable for me to buy the 48-hour GVB ticket as opposed to the single fare disposable tickets at 11;50 euros?

The website says I can buy them at a T&I or a TVM. I am not sure what that represents? I see that the single-fare tickets can be bough on the tram or bus but not these ones.

I wonder what most visitors use - the disposable tickets or the longer term ones?

I would appreciate your advice.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,457 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question regarding Strippenkaart Tickets on Trams

Hi there,

Most visitors use the longer-term ones. T&I and TVM stand for the types of sales points, being tobacconists etc.

The tourist desk at airport sells the 24/48h cards and probably also the AKO kiosk there. Also the GVB vending machines underneath Central Station have them.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question regarding Strippenkaart Tickets on Trams

Thank you Erik.

So I could buy the 48 hour GVB ticket at a tobacconist at Centraal Station like I did the strip card in the past?

Or do I have to do to the tourist desk to buy it?

Do I need to validate it when I first use it and then do not need to validate it until expiry?

Sorry for the many questions. I am leaving for Amsterdam tomorrow and am very excited but also a bit nervous:)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question regarding Strippenkaart Tickets on Trams

Yes, simply buy it at the train station or walk across the square to the white tourist office. With the card you have to check in and check out after each journey. Just follow the lead of the others getting on or off. When in doubt ask the conductor.

Peace,

Balou

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,204 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question regarding Strippenkaart Tickets on Trams

at the airport buy them at the AKO newsagent or the holland tourist office. the card is activated first time you beep in getting on a tram

Level Contributor
646 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question regarding Strippenkaart Tickets on Trams

Thanks a lot for helping me with that information, Balou and Steve.

I will buy the card at the airport at the AKO newsagent so that I will have it in hand when I get off at the train station and need to get on the tram to get to my hotel.

8. Re: Question regarding Strippenkaart Tickets on Trams

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2012, 07:32