We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam Arena - public transportation - cost

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam Arena - public transportation - cost

Hi,

I'm coming to A'dam on Sunday 17 July with a colleague, to go to the Take That concert on 18 July in the Arena. We'll return to Bruges on 19 July. Our hotel is Estherea, Singel 303-309. It has an excellent location and is within walking distance of CS and some must sees.

I already have a map, I ordered it at the tourist office.

I had a look at the "Before you go" section, the GVB website and the Arena website, but I still have some questions, so hopefully someone will be able to help me. Answers in Dutch are OK.

* I believe the metro at Arena is Strandvliet or Bijlmer, but where do we catch it in the city center? At CS?

* how long will it take us to get from the city center to the Arena?

* what type of ticket do we need to buy? Since I don't travel often in my own country I don't really follow the news about the chipkaart... I think we'll only need to use OV for going to the concert, on other occasions we'll probably walk, perhaps rent a bike.

I've read about the 24h pass for 7 euro, but that seems a bit expensive for a return trip. Or 2x the 1-uurskaart for 2,60 euro...but will we be able to buy one on the metro when we go back in the evening??? I imagine it will be very crowded.

Just one last question. We're thinking about going to see the new HP 7.2 movie. Can anyone suggest some good cinemas near our hotel?

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,702 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam Arena - public transportation - cost

>>* I believe the metro at Arena is Strandvliet or Bijlmer, but where do we catch it in the city center? At CS?

It depends from where in the center you are leaving. The terminus is at CS, there are also stops at Niewmarkt, Waterlooplein and other stations en route. From the Estherea it is a toss up between CS and Niewmarkt.

>>* how long will it take us to get from the city center to the Arena?

About 20 minutes. The metro normally runs every 5 mins or so.

>>* what type of ticket do we need to buy?

Locals will tend to use an OV chipcard. In your case single tickets are probably best. You can buy both your outbound and return ticket as you set off from town or even earlier.

>>Can anyone suggest some good cinemas near our hotel?

The nearest cinema to your hotel is quite a famous one, the Tuschinski by Rembrandtplein. It is about a 10 minute walk from your hotel but I don't know if it will be showing that movie when you are here. http://www.amsterdam.info/cinema/tuschinski/

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam Arena - public transportation - cost

Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know the price for a single trip on the metro?

HP will be in cinema by then, I'm sure of it, international release date is 15 July. If it's an important cinema they WILL show it as of 15 July or earlier ;)

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,041 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam Arena - public transportation - cost

Hi Sabrina,

2.60 euro it's currently. Line 54, runs every 10 mins day/evening outside rush hour. Bijlmer station for southern ArenA entrance and Strandvliet for northern entrance.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

4. Re: Amsterdam Arena - public transportation - cost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 13:17