We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from London to Amsterdam

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
339 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Train from London to Amsterdam

We are planning on taking the train from London to Amsterdam. Any suggestion on best route and also web sites for tickets? Should we take the EuroStar from S. Pancras to Brussels and take connector? Trying to be economical. Thank you.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,769 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from London to Amsterdam

Hi there,

Yes Eurostar is the way to go for main part. Brussels-Amsterdam has 2 trains:

a) Thalys, 1 hour faster; prices lower than IC if booked 2-3 months ahead. If Eurostar delayed however you are in trouble, tickets are valid for that specific train only and the cheaper the Thalys fare the more expensive the change (upto 'buy a new one, for the last-minute skyhigh price').

b) IC, cheaper than last-minute Thalys prices

With an Eurostar fare to 'Any Dutch station' the IC is included.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
339 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from London to Amsterdam

Thank you so much. So it is best to take the Eurostar direct to Brussels?

From Brussels take Thalys or IC to Amsterdam? Do you happen to know the best web site to book Thalys and IC? Thank you.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,769 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from London to Amsterdam

Hi again,

As mentioned above: the IC can be booked directly with your Eurostar ticket, fare option 'Any Dutch station'. Booking Thalys can be challenging, thalys.com and tgveurope.com seem to be working for many; ourselves always using the Dutch site but that's mainly good for trips originating here.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from London to Amsterdam

Trying to be economical, fly easyjet for about £30. a lot cheaper and quicker than the train unless you want to get the train for a reason.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from London to Amsterdam

Cheapest way is to book - well in advance - via www.nshispeed.nl. For 99 euro return this covers the Eurostar to/from Brussels and regular intercity train (Not Thalys) from there to/from any station in NL.

Last weekend, for example, I tried booking on the Eurostar site a return from Brussels to London in October. It was actually more expensive, for exactly the same train than booking the trip from NL.

You can book 4 months in advance of travel. The cheapest tickets go quite quickly after then.

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
948 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from London to Amsterdam

We thought about taking a train as well. We will only have about 2 1/2 days in AMS, so we're going to fly from Gatwick in early January. Are you on any time constraints? It may be a little quicker to go via air. Good luck with whatever you decide - have fun!!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from London to Amsterdam

When you consider everything there is not that great a difference in time these days between flying and taking the train. Consider these approximate city center to city center times.

Train:

Central Amsterdam to station: 15 mins

Waiting time: 15 mins

Travel time: 4 hours 45 minutes

Stopover time: 45 minutes

St Pancras to hotel: 30 minutes

- TOTAL: 6.5 hours

Flight:

Central Amsterdam to station: 15 mins

Waiting time: 15 mins

Train to Schiphol: 15 mins

Time at airport prior to flight: 1 hour 30 mins

Flight: 1 hour

Getting off flight, immigration and baggage reclaim: 1 hour

Waiting time for train: 15 mins

Train to Victoria: 45 mins

Victoria to hotel: 30 minutes

- TOTAL 6.75 hours

Now you can play around with these figures a bit but the truth is that there is not that much time to be saved by flying. Particularly if you are using Gatwick, Luton or Stanstead. Add to that all the hassle of flying these days and I much prefer to take the train.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
339 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from London to Amsterdam

I think we would prefer to take the train. We are most likely going to go...

- London to Brussels on Eurostar...then take the local train from Brussels to Amsterdam. We just need to find out if the Eurostar train station is the same as the local train station.

- It does not sound like taking Thalys from Brussels to Amsterdam would save us any time or money.

- We do need to get from Amsterdam to Paris for the final leg of our trip.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,769 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from London to Amsterdam

Sounds good. And yes, Eurostar arrives at the same Brussels-South (Midi) station as the IC train. You have to clear Schengen customs upon arrival AFIK so reserve some time for queuing, but anyhow your ticket will be valid on any IC train...

All the best again,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from London to Amsterdam

Actually Erik, the Schengen check is done in London before they board the train. It shouldn't be an issue. There are no checks at Brussels.

The other thing I will add.... believe me I have done this enough... is that the connection time at Brussels if coming from London is really tight. You have about 8 minutes to get off your platform and to the one which the IC train departs from which is the other side of a big station. I cannot give you specific platforms as they vary. You normally arrive at 1/2/3/4 and depart from 15/16/17/18.

The bottom line here is that I usually make it. Most visiting friends do not as the station is unfamiliar to them. You may well have to wait an hour at Brussels.