We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 hour layovers are worthless right?

Boston...
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
10 helpful votes
2 hour layovers are worthless right?

I just got booked for a trip that involves a 2 hour layover in Amsterdam. I've always wanted to visit the Netherlands (I have a lot of Dutch friends!) and right now I have one of those bad bad travel addictions where I just want to visit everywhere, soak in everything, and add notches to my countries, world sights, cities, etc list. I'm not a fan of airport shopping or museums (and not leaving the airport doesn't count as visiting the country!). Is there anyyy feasible way I can leave the airport and get any sort of feel of the Netherlands but not cut it too close to my flight? Any really close towns to the airport or anything? I guess just a "Dutch-esque" food and some Dutch souvenirs can be enough for me. I know it's probably a no but I just wanted to give it a try. :-)

Uncover Lab
Gift & Speciality Shops
Sterre Der Zee
Gift & Speciality Shops
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
44 reviews
118 helpful votes
1. Re: 2 hour layovers are worthless right?

Simple answer is no, stay at the airport.

Four hours is the absolute minimum to do anything. See the guide to Schiphol layovers in the Top Questions to the right.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,527 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
2. Re: 2 hour layovers are worthless right?

I would also say no but where are you flying in from and to? You can get to Amsterdam, run up Damrak and back to the station then airport in an hour.

A lot depends on where you are flying to with relation to minimum gate times and security queues.

Boston...
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: 2 hour layovers are worthless right?

My route will be Munich, Germany -> Amsterdam, The Netherlands -> Boston, USA. What do you think?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,728 posts
4. Re: 2 hour layovers are worthless right?

with 2 hour layover only i would not leave the airport...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
65,691 posts
232 reviews
340 helpful votes
5. Re: 2 hour layovers are worthless right?

Yes, the problem here is the onward hop to USA. The queue at emigration (for passengers from outside) isn't that long but the X-ray/security queues at the gate can be tough. And might 'close' (not allowing latecomers to join in) e.g. 45 mins before official departure time so that they can process all remaing passengers (oral questionnaires/interviews and X-ray) before the doors close...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: 2 hour layovers are worthless right?

I would not leave the airport, 2 hours is not enough BUT if you are looking for some "Dutch-esque" food and some Dutch souvenirs you can easily find it within the airport. You can buy typical Dutch souvenirs in the shops on the Holland boulevard and have some typical Dutch food. OK, it will be more expensive but if you have some time left than visit the FREE exhibition of the Rijksmuseum and admire the Dutch masters. Don't worry, Schiphol airport is not the worst airport to spend some time.

Safe travels!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,592 posts
73 reviews
38 helpful votes
7. Re: 2 hour layovers are worthless right?

we had a 2 hr layover back to Canada by the time we got a bite to eat had a walk around some shops it was time to get to the gate

I would just plan a trip the Amsterdam for another time

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: 2 hour layovers are worthless right?

yes perhaps hope for a delay in your Boston flight then you can do something.

London
Level Contributor
870 posts
3 reviews
15 helpful votes
9. Re: 2 hour layovers are worthless right?

Maybe a stupid question, but is there an option to amend your flights and book it with a days' break in the journey so you could visit amsterdam, seems a shame to miss out.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,527 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
10. Re: 2 hour layovers are worthless right?

With a tranatlanstic routing I would not do this due to you needing to be at he gate an hour before departure.

I presume you are doinng this on KLM. The only alternative is to speak t them and try to get on an earlier flight from Munich. There are flights at 0705, 0940 and 1150.

There are also two flights to BOS per day one at 1300 and at 1650. If you can shift any of these around then you would have ample time to get into town.