We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are kids allowed in "coffee shops"?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Are kids allowed in "coffee shops"?

Hello,

We will be in Amsterdam this weekend..Will be travelling with an 8 year old... Are kids allowed in coffeeshops.. We want to visit for the experience as I have read that there are normal soft drinks/coffees and food available apart for the obvious stuff in these shops as well.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are kids allowed in "coffee shops"?

Nope. Not a chance in a place that sells cannabis.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are kids allowed in "coffee shops"?

hi , as zasuna says , NO. If there is any doubt you will be asked to produce proof of age..... geoff

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are kids allowed in "coffee shops"?

No kids aren't allowed inside coffeeshops, you must be 18 to be on the premises. Not sure why you want to take a child into a coffeeshop.

Peace

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,550 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are kids allowed in "coffee shops"?

NO NO NO. I am quite shocked that you would think of taking an 8 year old into a coffee shop in the first place.

You are not even allowed to have a coffee shop within 200m of a school never mind letting the little blighters in there for a toke!

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,744 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are kids allowed in "coffee shops"?

I am also suprised that someone would want to take a child into a very heavily smokey environment.......talk about being selfish!!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are kids allowed in "coffee shops"?

and welcome to the forum!!...

London, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are kids allowed in "coffee shops"?

Thanks for the clear message guys! I had no idea what a coffee shop was/is...Will stay clear of them..

And may I say that is the purpose of using this forum to get impartial, clear and sometimes in-your-face advice!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are kids allowed in "coffee shops"?

Take your kids where you want, bit of smoke wont hurt them. Don't know why others think it their business to tell others how to raise their children. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

But no, they wont let him/ her in.

London, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are kids allowed in "coffee shops"?

cheers mate! I did not want to delve into that.. I have seen kids being exposed to far worse and consistent smoke in the past... like people riding on the Japanese bullet trains in the smoking carriage or the hotel lobbies of smoke-friendly countries...

and there are no limits of selfishness in adults when they chug along with their kids to museums and architecture and buildings of historical significance when what their kids are interested is just playing with their toy planes in the comfort of their room!! or just ride a metro from the starting point to the end! We Adults are selfish. Period!

In majority of countries, having such coffee shops is absolutely sacrilegious..but that didn't make me post a question "I am shocked that soft drugs are Legal in Amsterdam?!".. If having soft drugs is legal, I don't know how far the legality can be stretched.

Hence it was a simple, honest question and I respect all the responses but would personally refrain from lecturing a fellow traveller on giving sage advice on how to manage his personal life and raise his/her kids!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are kids allowed in "coffee shops"?

I don't think anyone was trying to tell you how to raise your kids. With a forum everyone is entitled an opinon. If you still want a smoke, the terrace at Ricks Cafe in the RLD is child friendly. Only downside is they can't enter the bar even to use the restroom because they're affiliated with the coffeeshop next door. And technically soft drugs are illegal in The Netherlands, coffeeshops are just tolerated.

Peace