We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice coffeeshops to go with wife

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Nice coffeeshops to go with wife

Hey guys,

I’ll be in Amsterdam for 6 days, from late November to early December with my wife.

I’m a smoker, and she isn’t. Actually, she has never smoked pot, and says that she never will. Well, we’ll see :)

My question is: Are there nicer, more comfortable, well decorated coffeeshops in Amsterdam, where a no smoker wife would feel comfortable sitting in with me while I do my thing? We’re 32 and 29 years old, and are able to afford a higher bill.

It’s my first time in Amsterdam, and I’ve read absolutely all coffeeshop reviews in freeuk.com and other sites. The problem is that those websites don’t offer any pics from the inside of the coffeeshops.

Your personal recommendations will be highly appreciated.

I have another quick question about our apartment location, but I’ll ask it in a separate topic.

Thanks a lot!

Maastricht, The...
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice coffeeshops to go with wife

Take a look at this website (in English):

http://www.rokerij.net

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice coffeeshops to go with wife

i recommend coffeeshop Basjoes,might even see you ther i will be in town from the 16-29th Nov.

peace Matty

www.flickr.com/photos/amsmatty

Edited: 24 September 2011, 11:45
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice coffeeshops to go with wife

I have two what I think of as great suggestions. I have a non-smoking Mrs as well.

The first is the 420 Cafe aka DeKuil. Its more like a typical pub in lay out. Good music. Friendly service. Can be a bit noise filled when busy. You can also bring in your own food (as of my last visit)

The 2nd is the original DeDampkering. A nice shop as well. With great gear. But its also where they filmed some of Oceans 12.

She can sit in the same seat George, Matt, or Brad sat in when they met Matsui.

They claim the after hours parties were something to see.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice coffeeshops to go with wife

Why subject her to it at all. If she doesn't smoke pot and has no interest in it why take her someplace where the main objective is to smoke pot. Just like the anti-smoking crowd whines about second hand smoke, there's much the same effect from smoking pot. Not every one is interested in getting a contact high. Take her to places you're both interested in and then let her go shopping while you go smoke your pot.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice coffeeshops to go with wife

Paradox in the Jordaan is a wonderful coffeeshop with mostly locals. A must visit for me every trip even if it's just for the veggie burger. Have you thought about a smoker friendly lounge/bar? 't Nes right off Dam Square is nothing special but you can smoke to your heart is content. Barney's Uptown or La Grotte on Haarlemmerstraat are smoker friendly and serve food/alcohol. A little further West and you'll find Kashmir Lounge. Smoker friendly cafe with a coffeeshop across the road. Very popular with the locals and they usually play good music.

Peace

Edited: 24 September 2011, 17:14
Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice coffeeshops to go with wife

Thanks for your replies. You guys are really cool for answering our questions.

Thunderstruck: Thanks for the tip on Rokerij.

Matty: Yes, I've heard really good things about Basjoe. I'll visit this coffeeshop for sure. Also, good to know that you'll be in town till 29th. november. If you're free, give me a call. I can be reached through the number +852 5427-1648. This is my Hong Kong mobile phone number and it works in Europe (I'm originally from Curitiba-Brazil, but I live in Hong Kong, where I manage a MMA/jiu jitsu academy).

Mr. JohnMd: So you have a non smoking wife as well. You're the guy I'll take most seriously, as you have experience in the subject :)

The 1st. coffeeshop's name is DeKuil, right? Should I search in google as DeKuil or 420 Café?

The DeDampkering sounds really cool! I'll watch Oceans 12 again with my wife, to make her excited about visiting it (she loves Brad Pitt, I guess... Myself, I think that guy is quite hot… haha).

Vegas-guide: Thanks for your advice. I'll think about it.

Balou: Thanks for the tip about Paradox. Good to know that you like this coffeeshop, because I see from this forum that you have deep knowledge in Amsterdam subjects.

Actually, a smoker friendly lounge/bar would be ideal. A place without that "marijuana stigma", where we could sit, have a juice, and, incidentally, smoke some marijuana :)

In those smoker friendly lounges/bars should I ask the waiter/owner/bartender if it would OK to light up a joint? Or should I just do it without asking for permission?

By the way, Balou, I'll take this opportunity to ask you a question about marijuana itself, if I may:

As I grew up in Brazil, where we usually smoke Paraguay grown brick weed (outdoor sativa, pressed in 1KG bricks), I'm used to its effects and strength. Some people say it's not that good, but I'm used to it, and I really like it. I'm a little apprehensive about weed strenght in Amsterdam. People say it's really stronger than in other parts of the world. I haven't smoked frequently for 7 years now (since I moved to Asia).

I've heard that some coffeeshops in Amsterdam sell Colombian, Mexican, Jamaican or Thai week, that would be very similar to what I used to smoke (outdoor sativa, in bricks). Is that so? Do you have any advice to give on this matter?

Thanks again and all the best!

I've heard that some places sell Colombian, Mexican, Jamaican or Thai week, that would be very similar to what I used to smoke (outdoor sativa, in bricks).

Is that so? Do you have any advice to give on this matter?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice coffeeshops to go with wife

All of the places I posted you could just walk in and light up. A few more suggestions would be Rick's Cafe, Sussie's Saloon or Lost in Amsterdam. Also the bar next to De Kuil/420 is smoker friendly as well. For everything coffeeshops, visit www. coffeeshopdirect.com You will find a map, directory, reviews and a forum for information. Also visit www.coffeeshopmenus.org to do a little virtual shopping.

I can understand about yuou wanting to try something similar to what you smoke at home. Almost all the shops have an outdoor option, usually Thai or Jamaican. Basjoe, Anyday or Katsu would be my suggestions of places to try for import weed. You could also start off with something like Jack Herer, White Widow or Orange Bud. All less potent than some of the other strains. When I have my first few smokes in Amsterdam I usually end up putting my joint down about half way through. Enjoy the buzz and if you need a little more just spark back up.

FYI - I'll be in town as well in November, 21 - 30, PM me if ya'll want to get outside the Centrum.

Peace

Florida
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice coffeeshops to go with wife

I don't smoke but I did enjoy the recently renovated "Easy Times" coffeeshop on the Prinsengracht 476 . . . back in the day, it was a dive reggae joint (pun intended) but now it is clean, nicely decorated with comfortable seats and pleasant staff.

http://easytimes-amsterdam.com/

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
897 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice coffeeshops to go with wife

Prix Dami is absolutely gorgeous inside.. 2 levels... Upstairs there are comfy couches, good ventilation and u can order food! Also several tv screens, I was totally impressed, and I am one of those wive's :) It's just off the Damrak and I highly recommend it!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice coffeeshops to go with wife

Lindrino, not only is my Mrs a non-smoker , tobacco smoke really bothers her.

But she has had 3 or 4 trips into a coffeeshop during our visits. We stay until she is ready to leave.

She is not a fan of grass smoking either but she now has these "bad girl" coffeeshop stories she shares at the drop of a hat.

I recommend a stop into a cs for any visitor.

Its a world wide unique expereince. One unlike any they can have anywhere else anywhere..

I mean its not like anyone is going to get high just sitting in a shop for a short while-----or longer----at least without smoking.

And many of the shops have really good regular snacks juice and hot chocolate, etc.

----Oceans 12. Its really cute how they handled the DeDampkering. Its an inside joke. They never once mention that the De is a coffeeshop. Thus 99% of those watching the movie would not know where that scene was filmed.

----Best know as DeKuil. But some call iby its 2nd name 420 Cafe.