We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Amsterdam in early December

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips from Amsterdam in early December

We will be in Amsterdam for 6 nights starting on December 3rd.

We're thinking of one or two days on day trips - I've listed our ideas below.

* If you were going in the first week of December, which of these might you choose?

* Is each a full day or does it make sense to combine several cities in a very full day?

* Are there other places that we should consider?

We'd like to do walks in addition to museums & sites that give us a sense of place. If it's raining very heavy such that it isn't conducive to strolling in an area, then I guess we can either choose an indoor museum or cafe & pass on the walking.

Any ideas & comments would be greatly appreciated!

Haarlem

Delft

Hague

Rotterdam

Utrecht

Kroller-Muller Museum

Thanks very much in advance!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips from Amsterdam in early December

I'd skip Rotterdam. It was destroyed in WWII and is mostly boring 50s and 60s architecture. It doesn't really offer a lot to visitors.

It would make sense to combine a day trip to the Hague and Delft as they are very close to each other.

Both Haarlem and Utrecht are well worth visiting.

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips from Amsterdam in early December

Thanks, Brianc_li.

Arlington VA
Level Contributor
161 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips from Amsterdam in early December

If you go to The Hague, be sure you visit Panorama Mesdag. It is a painting so large and beautiful you will never forget it. Many TA reviews on it too

denhaag.nl/en/…Panorama-Mesdag.htm

Also close to Amsterdam are the restored windmills of Zaanse Schans.

Great photo opportunity if the weather cooperates and a charming house cafe for some hot chocolate.

holland.com/us/…The-Zaanse-Schans.htm

Also while in Amsterdam, take a break from the hustle and bustle and walk through the Begijnhof. It's an oasis with one of the oldest wooden houses in the city from the 1300's.

lonelyplanet.com/the-netherlands/…begijnhof

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips from Amsterdam in early December

Hi lilybob24,

Thanks for the ideas and the web links!

Our latest thinking is a day trip to Delft & The Hague and a half day at Haarlem. I am so very excited - tomorrow, I'm starting to watch an art history DVD series on the Dutch Masters from the Teaching Company. I also have a European Art History series from them and I'm going to select the Dutch lectures from the 48 lecture series. I'm going to check each of the museums in Amsterdam, Delft, Hague and Haarlem and choose those that offer work of those I will be learning about. I figure that's a good way to make the art history come alive!

The Beginjhof is now on our Amsterdam walking list. And I'll see how things go with the restored windmills - it would be a great photo op if the weather is good.

There are so many interesting museums, sites and walks that I am overwhelmed. I've made a list of possibilities by area of Amsterdam and my next step is to see how it all flows. My biggest challenge is to focus on peaceful exploration and not be seduced by trying to see everything.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,100 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips from Amsterdam in early December

peaceful exploration is what amsterdam is all about..i dont even make an itinerary anymore...you wouldnt believe what some people try to cram into a 2 or 3 day visit...

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips from Amsterdam in early December

Hi -

I always recommend Delft and often take visitors there for the day. Try to see the PrinsenHof - a small museum where William of Orange was assassinated (you can still see the bullet hole in the wall!)

http://www.prinsenhof-delft.nl/

If you combine The Hague - try to see the small art museum Mauritshuis - where the Girl with the Pearl Earring in on display.

http://www.mauritshuis.nl/

Enjoy! MMK

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
441 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips from Amsterdam in early December

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i26215-4_days_o…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i26216-Roundtri…

maybe my triplists can help/ give some inspiration

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
729 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips from Amsterdam in early December

Thanks for the additional ideas - I'm in the process of reading them!

On the theme of peaceful exploration:

I just learned about Gezelligheid (pronouced Heh-ZELL-ick-hide), "an aesthetic as well as a style of socializing". Here is an article that I found in The AFAR travel magazine, that arrived in yesterday's mail. The title is "Going Dutch" by Chris Colin.

It's on-line at this link:

http://www.afar.com/afar/going-dutch?page=1

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trips from Amsterdam in early December

Most commonly, gezellig is a way of describing a place or feeling. Essentially "cozy".

Yep, you've hit on a quintessential Dutch thing. It's the best part of visiting. Take your time, drink it in and enjoy. It's all about tossing out the checklist.

Have a great time,

chuck

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trips from Amsterdam in early December

Hope you have a good time!

Kroller muller museum is great but... difficult to get to if you don't have you're own car. In summer it combines nicely with the Veluwe national park but in december perhaps you'd like to skip it. Go to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam instead. (They cover a similar time period)

I wouldn't go to Rotterdam, there are some nice modern art museums but little atmosphere. (due to the WWII bombing and rapid rebuild). Not as gezellig :-)

Probably best to combine The Hague and Delft - In The Hague don't miss the Mauritshuis, it is an excellent little museum with some of the most beautifull Vermeers, so especially interesting if you're interested in Dutch masters from that age. Tram 1 will take you straight from The Hague center to Delft center, it's a slow and scenic alternative to the train. (~40 mins) Maybe it stops near panorama mesdag.

Utrecht is not that special. A nice enough place but not a must-see.