We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smoking ban????

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
987 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
smoking ban????

Hi guys, we're visiting for the first time ever in may next year for a hen doo, and was wondering if there is in fact a smoking ban or not?? Or what are the pubs/bars/coffee shops/ general public places like for smoking?

Thanks for any info.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,701 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: smoking ban????

If you mean joints then all is normal still with the coffeeshops. Lots of talk but no policy or law changes yet (except in Maastricht - a southern border city) so you can still get your buzz on. If you mean cigs then there is no indoor smoking in cafes, restaurants, public buildings, airports etc except in designated smoking rooms.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,867 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: smoking ban????

The smoking ban is not really enforced. If you are in a small owner run bar then it is up to them if you smoke inside or not. If there are ashtrays on the bar/tables then there's a fair chance . Probably only good manners to ask first. Even larger places in town will either have a seperate smoking area inside or just ignore the law altogether.

Generally restaurants uphold the ban

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
987 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: smoking ban????

thanks for you`r reply guys, we`r none smokers , but we don`t want to let our friends down, so at least we know that there are some places that has none smoking areas!!!

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: smoking ban????

It was on the news yesterday that the government will get tougher on enforcing the no smoking policy. Fines have been doubled and there will be more checks.

The only places that are exempt from the law are those less than 75 square meter with no employees.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,708 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: smoking ban????

The last time in town, a cold and windy Feb, I saw a lot of folks standing outside of places (pubs, cafe, etc) smoking.

Which meant to me that a lot of places are enforcing the ban or that folks are self-policing themselves.

What Anna reports does not surprise me. Once these laws are in place they generally get more restrictive rather than less so. Not over night. But over time.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: smoking ban????

Well, in fact the law has not been enforced properly the last year or so. And because of that, many bars have easied up, and started to allow smoking.

Also, there have been reported cases of intimidation against inspectors.

Pretty weird imo, I would have thought the inspectors would call the police immediately when such a thing would happen.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: smoking ban????

When I was in town last summer more cafes then I could remember allowed smoking. They had a jar on the bar where you could chip in a euro or two for the fine if they ever got caught.

Peace

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,077 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: smoking ban????

ha ha..i love the dutch!!..rebels!!

Denbigh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: smoking ban????

is anyone aware when the law is coming into effect??? a little aprehensive booking the flights now!!!!

:(

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: smoking ban????

Nothing is certain, if you can't enjoy Amsterdam without smoking don't book.