We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Specific Question re: Houseboats

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
446 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Specific Question re: Houseboats

I did a search for this but couldn't find it addressed in any of the topics.

For those of you who have rented a houseboat in Amsterdam, what is the head clearance like inside? May seem like a silly question, but my 6'6" hubby wants to rent a houseboat when we visit Amsterdam in April, and looking at photos they seem like kind of tight quarters. Will he be hitting his head on the ceiling if we rent one?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
446 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Specific Question re: Houseboats

Also, are they solid or do they rock in the water if larger boats float by?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,212 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Specific Question re: Houseboats

in the main lounge or living room he should be able to stand tall...but i guarantee you there will be some parts of the boat where he will have to slouch over. true houseboats float..the boats in the canals wouldnt move much because other boat traffic moves so slow...

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
446 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Specific Question re: Houseboats

Thanks, steveftw. Some of the photos of the houseboats for rent looked like he would have to be watching his head in them all the time. I showed him the pics and he said, that's okay it's part of the experience. I think after the third or fourth time he bonked his head he might be changing his tune, LOL.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,263 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Specific Question re: Houseboats

The houseboat I rented- your husband would indeed need to 'duck' at the main entry door. Once inside he would be fine but for the bath door and the glass doors to the deck. I'm sure some boats would be quite small for his height.

There was really no motion at all. They seem to be tightly held in position.

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
446 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Specific Question re: Houseboats

Thanks, Jason. Ducking through the doors would be okay. We'll probably end up renting a houseboat after all.

New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Specific Question re: Houseboats

I am 5'9" & had no head room issues -- and the ceiling did not feel very low. Regarding the boat rocking -- my "houseboat" was apparently sitting on a concrete base in the canal -- so zero rocking.

It did have an attached floating deck that rocked slightly.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Specific Question re: Houseboats

The boat we rent has plenty of head room. My husband and I are 5'10" and 6' respectively and we had no problems. However, other boats may be different. The boat rocks ever so little - and it's a lovely feeling, especially when you're laying in bed.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,212 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Specific Question re: Houseboats

if the houseboat is rockin, dont bother knockin

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
446 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Specific Question re: Houseboats

Bad news. The owner of the houseboat informed the property manager that the ceiling in the house boat is at 1.98 meters (why didn't they just say two meters), which is approximately 6'6", as tall as my hubby. Guess we're going to have go find an apartment to rent after all.

We had originally reserved an apartment on Herengracht Canal through VRBO last fall, but the owner sent us an e-mail last Saturday saying that they had sold their place and so had to cancel all reservations. D'oh!

Anyway, back to the apartment hunt. Don't really want to stay in a hotel.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Specific Question re: Houseboats

Have you tried any other houseboats? All but one of the four I have stayed on have LOADS of head clearance. Like this one:

houseboathotel.nl/accommodation_amsterdam/…