We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Hotels

Tybee Island...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Hotels

(OK..all earlier threads on subject seem to be old?

I will be flying into Amsterdam (Sept 15 2012) w/ 5 others, on way to Tanzania trip with O.A.T.

We will have only one day, nite, then fly out early a.m.. (end of trip we will have another 3 days there and already rented an apt in Jordaan!!)

We'd like a hotel that is not expensive (just sleeping there) but by airport for early a.m. departure. We'd like to go into the city that eve for dinner, etc.

ALSO...Because we cannot take our personal bags ( just one duffle) on our Tanzania trip we must store them in Amsterdam. Can we use the airport?

Thanks in advance! Di

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,363 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Hotels

Try the CitizenM at the airport or even the one at the WTC which is only a short train ride away. The airport one you can walk to. Most of the other hotels at the airport use shuttle busses.

You do not say how long your Africa trip will be but the normal lockers at the airport are €6 per day but you can only store bags there for 168 hrs max. There is a manned storage place downstairs which I think you can leave bags for up to a month. The link below explains all.

schiphol.nl/Travellers/…LuggageLockers.htm

Tybee Island...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Hotels

Thanks so much!

I checked out Citizen M..it didn't seem comfortable in that none of us want to share a bed...we want twins or 2 doubles. ;-)

We will be leaving our luggage for approx 2 weeks.

Is Cit M the only on-site airport hotel?

Thanks for the link! Very helpful!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Hotels

The hotels actually on the airport are the Sheraton, Hilton and CitizenM, all of which are landside together with the Mercure and Yotel which are airside. All of the other 'airport' hotels are a bus ride away.

I fully understand Ron's advice as you said 'not that expensive'. Aside from the CitizenM, all the others are quite pricey.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,261 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Hotels

There are a few more onsite airport hotels. Landside Sheraton and Hilton, but both more expensive than CitizenM. And also quite a few with a shuttle service.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,363 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Hotels

OK since you are new to posting on these forums let me give you some advice. When you are looking for hotel information please post exactly how much you are prepared to spend on a hotel per might as just "not expensive" can mean anything.

The Citizen M is not the only on site hotel but it is the only cheap one. The Hilton and Sheraton are the others. There is a Mercure and Yotel airside but I didn't think either would suit your requirements.

There are of course many hotels at the airport but they are all at least a 15 minute shuttle ride away although most hotels run free shuttles.

Why don't you just stay at a hotel in town and book a cab to take you the the airport in the morning (at what time??). Between you it will only cost €10 each way max. The return train trip will be €8 ayway.

If budget is a big consideration then bid for three rooms on Priceline.

As for luggage your only option is the airport as I can't think of anywhere else that will store your bags for so long. Mind you for 6 at just one bag each that will be a whopping €360. Jeeze maybe I should go into the bag storage business!

Edited: 31 January 2012, 12:44
Tybee Island...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Hotels

Thanks again for the advice! And by "inexpensive" you are correct...should have been more explicit.

We are fine with pricing up to $100 per person per room. We just do not care to spend $150-200 each for the one night. And again, we'd like rooms with 2 beds.

Also...Several in my group had been eyeing the Mercure...it seems to have decent reviews. What would be unfavorable about it for us?

Thanks very much!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Hotels

There are two 'airport' Mercure hotels.

mercure.com/gb/…index.shtml

mercure.com/gb/…index.shtml

The first one is a (paid for) shuttle bus ride to/from the airport.

The second is airside, in the terminal. It may well not be suitable for your party as you have to go through immigration every time you want to enter or leave the hotel. It is more suited to stopovers where the person doesn't want to leave the airport.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,363 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Hotels

You see $!00 per person (so at least $200 per room) is not inexpensive in my book, that's mid to top end.

Anyway good news is that your dates miss the IBC conference in September as It's a little early this year. Also more good news is that you are looking at th 15th which is a Saturday night and most of the airport hotels are discounted at the weekend. For instance I see the 5 star Raddisson for only €88 for a twin. This is a very nice hotel and has a decent restaurant on site and a nice bar ( my office is 100m away). The shuttle bas does not run 24 hours though so check on times although it is free. There is nothing else around it to see though so you would be confined to the hotel really although not that difficult to get into toen.

The Hilton is also available at €150 pn and that is walkable . The Sheraton is coming in at €200 but that might be over budget for you. It is the closest to the terminal though.

If you actually want to stay in town then for large rooms see if you can get the Marriot. Airport bus stops practically outside. Also the Eden American and the NH amsterdam Centre are all good options.

I see there is a brand new Holiday Inn Express at Sloterdijk station 2 stops (10 mins) from the airport and 7 mins from Amsterdam Centraal. that is coming in at just over €100 pn incl. breakfast.

Of course there ae also many hotels walking distance to the station.Ibis, A-train, Park Victoria for instance.

Really you have many choices. The Mercure at the airport (not the airside one) is in the middle of no-where although the airport bus does pass closeby if you wanted to get into town. There is an Ibis and Etap hotel at the same location as they are all owned by Accor hotels if you wanted something cheaper

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Hotels

the ibis is ok...i had an extended stay there..i would stay away from the etap..its looks like a prison cell block without bars on the windows

richmond
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Hotels

For a 100 to 110 euro you can each have a room at the Citizen M airport. Very convenient if you have an early flight. You just walk right up to the terminal. We almost missed an early flight once in the US when the shuttle driver from the hotel was late getting to work. Ended up having to call a cab.