We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Prices and Reservations

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Prices and Reservations

I was a bit surprised to read in the Rough Guide to Amsterdam that main courses are usually around 20-25 euros, this seems quite steep? It this the typical price in most restaurants?

I thought these prices would be more typical in fairly up market restaurants, than more casual places.

Also guide books seem to state you should tip 105, is this the normal amount in Amsterdam? (guide books do often state to tip more than locals would)

London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Prices and Reservations

Whoops also forgot to post, are reservations advisable at weekends in most restaurants?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,241 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Prices and Reservations

Well restaurant prices are wholey dependant on the venue. I would say most places would be around €15 to €20 for a main course but depending on the food and place €25 is not that unusul. Welcome to Amsterdam.

Chinese etc will be a lot cheaper than that.

Reservations again depend on the place but it can never hurt to call ahead.

London, United...
Level Contributor
725 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Prices and Reservations

As Ronaldo says, it's entirely dependent on where, and what, you're eating. It's €5 for a ham and mushroom pizza at Rimini Pizzeria. It's €46 for the lobster at the michelin starred Restaurant Christophe'. If you're on a budget, or like to eat mid-ranged, then you can get main courses for under €20. Well under if you do a bit of research.

It's customary to round up the bill to the next €5 or add a few euro to your bill, tip 10% if you want to. Like England, there aren't any set in stone rules to tipping in The Netherlands.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Prices and Reservations

Hi Adam,

We have found that food in Amsterdam tends to be more expensive than over here, but you can eat cheap too (frittes and sauce, febo, and chinese/pizza houses) but a 'nice' meal' is prob around 20e main, and possibly up to 25e, with better restaurants and hotel restaurants possibly costing more.

In some nicer restaurants at weekend it may be advisable to book, but depends on time of year too.

Enjoy your trip!

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,971 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Prices and Reservations

With a little research you will always find a restaurant with main courses less than 20 Euros. Eg the well known Moeders offers a lot of "Hoofdgerechten" from 15 to 20 Euros.

BTW, some days ago I was told at this forum that tipping at restaurants in Amsterdam isn´t a must and not very common:-)).

London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Prices and Reservations

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated. Moeders sounds a great tip. Any other tips for reasonably priced, but decent quality restaurants would be gratefully received. I guess we have to try some Indonesian food at least once whilst in Amsterdam as well.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,971 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Prices and Reservations

If you don´t need some splurge and no fancy ambience I can recommend a very cosy restaurant "Hannekes Boom", close to the famous "Sea Palace" restaurant next to the Centraal. It´s just a pavillon, with a roof terrace for summer time and a picnic seating area, direct at the waterfront. The view to the city was incredible at night. It was very cold but the had an open fire...After dinner time it seems to be a meeting point for young people.

http://www.hannekesboom.nl/

Edited: 13 March 2012, 21:11
8. Re: Restaurant Prices and Reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:16