We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camp Vught, or other concentration camps around Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florence, Toscana...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Camp Vught, or other concentration camps around Amsterdam

Hello,

I am going to Amsterdam next week and I really want to see a concentration camp. I wanted to try and get to Germany at some point to see one, but haven't made it, so I am trying to get the experience in Amsterdam. I'm flying into Brussels and then taking a train to Amsterdam. Does anyone know of any old concentration camps that you can visit around either of those cities? I heard about Camp Vught near Amsterdam, but can't figure out how to get there unless you're with a school tour or have your own car. Does anyone know the best way to get there as a traveler without a car? We're planning on going to the Anne Frank house, but I would really like to go a little bit further and actually see a camp. If you have any other suggestions on things to do in Amsterdam or Brussels (related or unrelated to WWII) those are always welcome as well. Thanks!

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Camp Vught, or other concentration camps around Amsterdam

Kamp Vught is not near Amsterdam at all, it is in the south of the country. About 1.5 hours by public transport. Ok, maybe any place in the Netherlands is close to any other place ;).

Just go to the route planner http://9292.nl/en and enter Amsterdam as origin and 'Kamp Vught' as destination. There you see that you need to take a train to 's Hertogenbosch, and then a local bus (probably a minibus) to the camp. The city of 's Hertogenbosch is quite nice as well, so you could combine the two. Some information on the camp in English: http://www.nmkampvught.nl/index.php?id=219

Another option is the 'Westerbork herinneringskamp' in the north of the country, which takes about 3 hours to get to. Again you can use the route planner for directions. it is technically not a concentration camp but a transit camp.

I have been in neither, so I cannot tell you which one if more interesting (if interesting at all).

Edited: 15 March 2012, 09:36
Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camp Vught, or other concentration camps around Amsterdam

I've been to Westerbork and was very impressed with the museum and the camp site. It is a bit difficult to get to without a car though.

3. Re: Camp Vught, or other concentration camps around Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 04:42