We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weitpass why ????

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
weitpass why ????

Surely bringing in a pass where you need to be a citizen of Amsterdam to enter a coffee shop to purchase weed is going to be a strain on the police.People come from all over the world to sample Amsterdams liberal ways.As a regular visitor to Amsterdam i really don,t want to see the drug dealers coming back onto the street,but i think come Jan 1st they will be rubbing their hands thinking about all the money they will be making from the tourists

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: weitpass why ????

i dont know where you get your info but nothing is happening jan 1. but when it does happen you can just hit up the drug dealers in your town. save yourself a trip!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weitpass why ????

Steve this is going to happen in amsterdam from Jan 1st 2013,

Edited: 07 April 2012, 20:20
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
32 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weitpass why ????

@natbrad, its slightly more complicated than it seems.

On May 1, the "club card" is to be introduced in coffee shops in the provinces of Brabant, Limburg and Zeeland, as part of a gradual roll-out of the plan. The coffee shops will then only be allowed to sell cannabis to a maximum of 2,000 "registered members" per year, all of whom must have Dutch passports.

As for Amsterdam, its not over till the fat lady sings.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weitpass why ????

Thats the way i read it Rigsby420,but it looks like its coming in.Like i said i don,t want to see drug dealers selling to tourists on the street like it was in the 70,s and 80,s. This is why the coffee shops were brought in to stop the selling on the street

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: weitpass why ????

natbrad..you need to venture out more in between coffee shop visits...there isnt one time ive visited amsterdam where i wasnt approached by a drug dealer on the street...so creating the coffeeshops didnt eradicate street dealing.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weitpass why ????

Steve you seem to think im some sort of stoner who goes to Amsterdam to get high, a drug tourist you may say ,im afraid your wrong i don,t even smoke.I just think its a bad idea what they are doing. And yes you are right if you go into certain areas you can be approched to buy class A drugs but not weed. Its a topic i thought people would like to know about as a lot of people travel to Amsterdam to visit the coffee shops

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: weitpass why ????

weve covered it ad nauseum

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
232 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weitpass why ????

The City of Amsterdam remains firmly against the 'weed pass,' and it is not at all sure that the pass will see the national roll-out, planned for January 1, 2013.

All eyes will be on the provinces of Brabant, Limburg and Zeeland, where the pass will be introduced on May 1, this year. Like so many schemes thought up by government types, it may backfire badly.

One reason Amsterdam is against the pass is that it will bring back the type of street dealing the system was meant to curtail.

Another reason has to do with economic impact.

A 2007 report by Amsterdam’s Department for Research and Statistics shows that of the 4.5 million tourists who spend the night in Amsterdam during a given year, 26% visit a coffeeshop. According to the Amsterdam Tourism & Convention Board, 10% of tourists even mention this as a primary reason to visit the city.

- http://bit.ly/jHVmMm

As for street dealing, the coffee shops approach has greatly reduced the level of street dealing. Naturally it still takes place, but one hardly ever gets approached by street dealers.

I am speaking as someone who, while a native Amsterdammer, looks and sounds like an American. My foreign-born wife and I frequently interact with tourists, including many who have been in Amsterdam on a regular basis, and very few report having been offered drugs of any kind.

We spend a lot of time in all areas of Amsterdam -- particularly in the center of town, including the Red Light District, and that's our experience as well.

However, that is pretty much the only issue in which the system worked as planned.

Unfortunately, the coffeeshop system did introduce other problems. For instance, in what is referred to a as 'legal front door, illegal back door,' the government allows coffeeshops to sell drugs, but does not officially allow them to purchase their supplies. Doing so would in effect condone what still is on the books as an illegal activity. For the same reason, coffee shops are not taxed, since doing so would legitimize the whole system.

In fact, reportedly each year five- to six thousand weed growing operations are dismantled by Dutch police.

One result of this approach is that criminal gangs have muscled out small-time growers/suppliers.

Coffeeshops have therefore more or less been forced to deal with criminal organizations whose large scale growing- and smuggling operations guarantee a steady supply.

- http://bit.ly/HJl8xr (The connection between Amsterdam’s coffeeshops and organized crime).

While Amsterdam is trying to combat such gangs in various ways, for instance as part of the Project 1012 cleanup program, the introduction of the weed pass -- should Amsterdam be forced to accept it -- will almost certainly resurrect the 'underground' and street-level drugs trade.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weitpass why ????

I do a LOT of walking. Day and night.

The only time I have been offered "drugs"i.e. baking soda on the streets, is those pst pst pst guys that hang out around the bridges in the RLD and sometimes at the edge of Dam sq.

I never saw these guys as actual drug dealers.

More akin to those money changers with the great deals you see in Prague..

scotland
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weitpass why ????

I think the OP stated "like it was in the 70's 80's " and not the present time .

I do remember those times !!.