We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuekenhof on 10 may 2012?

delhi
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kuekenhof on 10 may 2012?

Hi,

How would the Kuekenhof gardens be around 10 may this year? My parents are planning to travel to Amsterdam for my mom's 50th birthday from India.

Is it worth going this time of the year? Are there any chances that some tulip fields would be there considering the weather this year?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,731 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuekenhof on 10 may 2012?

Hi there,

The fields are all gone, they are cut close to the very start of the flowering as farmers want good bulbs, not good flowers. The gardens however have enough to see until the very end, due to no need for cutting and being able to use 'jokers' like artificially greenhouse-grown tulips and other spring flowers. So if people like spring flowers and haven't been there before, do go in May also.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Lisse, The...
Level Contributor
724 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuekenhof on 10 may 2012?

There will be more than enough tulips at the Keukenhof around May 10 because this year we have a very cold spring. I was there last wednesday and most of the tulips are still not fully blooming yet.

I hope you understand the blooming of the flowers is very strong related to the weather. So when it gets very warm suddenly all the tulips are coming to bloom at once. For the fields this is bad news for the tourists because after a few days the farmers take off all the flowers (they are growing bulbs not flowers). But the Keukenhof is not cutting the tulips because it’s a show garden. Besides that they are very good organized in planning the blooming of their flowers. So for sure there will be enough tulips left for your parents. But let them come as soon as possible. By that time the end of the season is coming closer.

For my most recent pictures of the flower fields and the Keukenhof visit my album at Picasa: https:/…

3. Re: Kuekenhof on 10 may 2012?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:42