We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving early at airport and finding a place to rest

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving early at airport and finding a place to rest

Will be arriving airport at 7am and thinking of leaving our luggage in lockers. Is there any place at airport or in Amsterdam city that we can rest in case of jet lag? Our houseboat check-in time is 2pm.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving early at airport and finding a place to rest

The Yotel at the airport will rent you a room for 4 hours.

www.yotel.com/hotels/amsterdam-schiphol

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,633 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving early at airport and finding a place to rest

Brian as the OP will have gone through Immigration before picking up their luggage they then cannot get back to the Yotel unless they have a boarding pass for an onward flight so unfortunately no good to them.

There's no-where I can think of that would facilitate you sleeping for a few hours in town.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,305 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving early at airport and finding a place to rest

Well unless they first stay Yotel and then still try to pick up the luggage. It has some risks as the luggage belt will have been closed for a long time and the luggage moved to the Left/Lost Luggage desk near the luggage belts. There are 3 of those, one for each ground handler, so finding the right one also means searching/asking around which handler works for your airline.

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,633 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving early at airport and finding a place to rest

Don't think I would leave my bags circling around unattended on a baggage belt where anyone could pick them up never mind having to locate them even if they were not stolen.

Buffalo Area
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving early at airport and finding a place to rest

FYI - Many places will let you check in earlier than their posted check-in time. Contact the rental agent and ask what is the earliest you may arrive; you may be surprised.

After arriving at Schiphol, you will need to clear Passport Control, wait for your luggage, and pass though Customs. Then you will need to take the train to Central Station. That will put would put you there around 8:45am, where you can store your luggage in a locker until you head for the houseboat.

There are plenty of places to sit down and rest or have a cup of coffee around Central Station, but my suggestion is to go across from the station to the GVB and buy a tram pass. Then wander around for a while.

What houseboat are you staying at?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,093 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving early at airport and finding a place to rest

I have never stayed on a houseboat.

But I have never had to wait until 3pm or 2 pm to ever check in at my hotel. 1 thru 5 star.

I think the suggestion to call the agent, even if it as after you arrive, is a good one.

I doubt though they will be able to tell you in advance, assuming a just checking out guest, that the HB will be ready earlier.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,831 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving early at airport and finding a place to rest

i usually manage to check in earlier than the official time. Phone or email the houseboat and tell them that your flight arrives at 7am and could you please check in earlier than 2pm. You may be lucky!

Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving early at airport and finding a place to rest

Thank you everyone for ur help! My concern is more of a place to rest due to jet lag. I can leave my luggage at the houseboat but still unable to check in due to occupied room. The yotel sounds like a good idea but I do not quite understand that I must have a boarding pass for my next flight. That means it is only for those in transit?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,305 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving early at airport and finding a place to rest

Yes, it is airside. In Schiphol there is no difference between arriving and departing passenger zones so you CAN use the Yotel but then you forego easy access to your luggage, it'll be removed from the luggage belt (hopefully by the correct department and not a thief) by long once you'd come into the luggage claim zone.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

richmond
Level Contributor
905 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving early at airport and finding a place to rest

Try Citizen M right outside of the terminal. Contact them and ask if they have a short term policy or possibly late check out with a credit card guarantee for very late arrival. Good luck!