We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GVB cards and NS Trains

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
GVB cards and NS Trains

Hi, do you need to purchase a GVB card to travel on the NS trains? And if so, do you get discount off the fares on NS?

Last time I went to Amsterdam you could just buy single/return tickets for trains.

Many thanks for your help.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: GVB cards and NS Trains

GVB passes cannot be used on the NS trains..so therefore, no discounts..and yes, you can still buy single tickets for the trains.

there is a chipkaart option that includes tram, bus, and train...but you have to keep loaded with money and isnt very tourist friendly..

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-s303/Amsterda…

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GVB cards and NS Trains

Youcan buy a general OV chip card at NS or GVB, they will both work on NS trains. But they won't get you a discount. So if you're only planning on 1 or 2 train trips, I'd juts buy a ticket instead of the Chipcard.If you're already getting the GVB chipcard to get around in Amsterdam you might as well use it in trains as well. But to use it on trains you need a balance of 20euro on the card.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GVB cards and NS Trains

Thanks both, we're staying at hotel next to Sloterdijk Station so think its easier to get back and from Centraal by train so will just buy train tickets as and when we need them, unless you would recommend tram? We're only staying for 2 nights to go to a concert.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: GVB cards and NS Trains

well, there is tram 12 out that way...but it doesnt run to centraal station. you could possible take it to museumplein..or maybe get off on overtoom...there is metro 50..which is like a subway you could ride to centraal station..but i think you have to buy a chipkaart to ride them..someone remind me if you can do single rides..havent rode a metro in years

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,655 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GVB cards and NS Trains

Yes single rides cost same on tram and metro. But 50 does not go to Centraal either. Train is indeed quickest for that.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: GVB cards and NS Trains

Is there a journey planner on the gvb website? I have tried using the gvb app and it just has an error msg. Also, i cant fond a journey planner anywhere on the website when i translate the gvb website to english. Any ideas?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: GVB cards and NS Trains

http://9292.nl/en/

and

en.gvb.nl/reisinformatie/…vertrektijden.aspx

8. Re: GVB cards and NS Trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:16