We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Search for a Quality Souvenir

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Topic
My Search for a Quality Souvenir

We were recently in Amsterdam for a week and were able to get a good look at the city. We walked to all the museums we were interested in, so we were able to take a look at the stores on the way or on the way back to our hotel.

We like to buy only one souvenir, but it has to have very high quality and represent the city. When we were younger we bought many inexpensive souvenirs that later we got tired of them and had to give them away. The souvenir also has to fit into one of our suitcases because we do not like to hand carry things through airports.

Amsterdam has a very large number of inexpensive souvenir stores. However we found out that most of them were selling the same merchandise. So we were a bit disappointed about this. However on the fifth day in the afternoon we were walking near the Mint Tower and came upon a high quality store that was exactly what we were looking for. The store had Delft, Murano glass, French crystal, Lladro, and many famous brands of collectibles. The owner was a young man by the name of Ramon, and he was very friendly and explained many things to us, especially about Delft. In the end, we bought two small Delft plates for hanging on the walls. One shows a flower and another shows butterflies flying among flowers. Ramon prepared the plates for us by putting the wires at the back of the plates so that we could hang them easily. Then he carefully wrapped them with corrugated carton to protect them. On top of the carton he placed a beautiful wrapping paper and prepared the plates like gifts. We were very impressed how well he treated us.

The name of the store is Hogendoorn & Kaufman, at Rokin 124.

We were also impressed how good the museum stores were in Amsterdam. They had very high quality greeting cards and my wife bought many boxes, because in Spain you cannot find these at all.

All of the people we met were very educated and treated us well. Everyone knew English, which is good for tourists. And best of all, we had very good weather! On the last day before we went to the airport it sprinkled a little.

We really enjoyed Amsterdam. My tip to visitors is that you should buy your tickets online for the Van Gogh Museum. We went there when they opened at 10 am and the lines were exceedingly long. With our online tickets we were able to go directly in. The good thing about the online tickets is that you can go at any day and at any time. This gives you some flexibility.

Yesterday I hung the little plates on the walls of our kitchen and they look great there! Every time we pass by and see them, we remember our beautiful days in Amsterdam!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Search for a Quality Souvenir

Thanks for this Benny - Delftware is a great gift!

There's also a shop across the Prinsengracht from the Anne Frank huis -

called "Old and New":

https://www.delft-art-gallery.com/

The owner is very grumpy however so be warned - you won't get the same level of customer service as at the one on the Rokin.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Search for a Quality Souvenir

It is always a nice gesture to specifically recommend a business that gives great service.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,151 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My Search for a Quality Souvenir

my p*nis shaped salt and pepper shakers from the RLD with the amsterdam xxx city symbol on them were a big hit.

4. Re: My Search for a Quality Souvenir

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 18:42