We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Amsterdam

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
Train travel from Amsterdam

i have two questions about train travel

1) if I take THAYLS to Paris Nord and then connect from Paris Lazarre to Caen and then rent a car to get to the Normandy Beaches, what is my estimated travel time one way?

2) Also, while using Amsterdam as a base, i want to travel to Hellendoorn. Can i get there by train? if so, how many transfers and what is total travel time or should i rent a car?

Likely To Sell Out
Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields...
1,740 Reviews
from US$73.20*
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Volendam...
2,390 Reviews
from US$73.20*
Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum Amsterdam...
14 Reviews
from US$21.70*
Special Offer
Zaans Schans Windmills, Tulips...
459 Reviews
from US$122.80*
US$146.40
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,345 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam

2) yes, but it wont be easy or hassle free..2 to 3 train changes plus a bus ride.

http://9292.nl/en

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,865 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam

About 6 hours to Caen.

Sunnyvale,California...
Level Contributor
310 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam

WOW...you plan to travel from Amsterdam to Normandy...in one day?? That makes for a loooong day. Train travel on the Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris Gare du Nord is already over three hours. Maybe you can just rent a car in Paris and drive to the Normandy beaches (??). I believe the drive from Paris will be at least 5 hours. I went to Mont St. Michel from Paris and that was a five hour bus ride. Or can you fly from Amsterdam to the Normandy region?? Might save you alot of time and aggravation.

Mentioned in this post
Nord
Nord
Hauts-de-France, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam

Paris to Caen is 2 hours by train, probably faster than by car.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam

Yes, however; we could perhaps take the train to Paris on one day, spend one or two nights and then take another day to get from Paris to the D-Day beaches.

If we were to fly to that area from AMS, is there an airport in Caen? I am not certain yet if this is what we will do but am exploring options.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam

Yes, there is an airport in Caen, but it will take at least seven to ten hours of flight with at least one stop and return ticket would be around 335 euro per person.

But maybe you can best ask on the air travel forum

tripadvisor.in/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trave…

Edited: 14 June 2012, 23:07
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,865 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam

You can fly to Southampton in the UK and take a ferry to Caen. Will likely take longer than the train.

brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/ferries-…

About €40 one way on the ferry plus airfare. Will still take you about 7 hours.

You could also rent a car here and drive all the way. Will again take 7 hours with no traffice delays.

Train is the way I would go.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam

"Yes, however; we could perhaps take the train to Paris on one day, spend one or two nights and then take another day to get from Paris to the D-Day beaches."

This would probably be your best bet. You might also look at touring the beaches with Bayeux as a base or start point A number of your small van tours originate there.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
9. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:16