We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone Rent An Amsterdam Apartment From Holiday Velvet?

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone Rent An Amsterdam Apartment From Holiday Velvet?

Just ready to rent a apartment found on FlipKey that is handled by the Holiday Velvet agency. Communication with this agency has been fairly smooth, but my last communication with them gave me pause....they said, in effect, "You must call our contact from the airport in order to be met at your property and, if you don't, you'll have to arrange for your own accommodations." I can deal with that, but the next few lines threw me a little in that Holiday Velvet is not located IN Amsterdam and we will have only the one contact who is not, apparently, the owner. We are not adept at using cell phones in other nations and wonder if we will be at a loss should we have a concern and have only one contact and can only reach that individual by phone...I guess I'm thinking that, in a hotel environment, a problem is addressed by speaking to the person on the desk. Any input or experience with this company would be appreciated. (The specific apartment is called "Dam Palace Duplex") Thanks in advance.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone Rent An Amsterdam Apartment From Holiday Velvet?

A quick search on tripadvisor turns up alot of threads about Holiday Velvet, good and not so good. Nothing in Amsterdam

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=60&geo=188590&scope=1&q=velvet+holiday&returnTo=__2F__

Isn't the owner just downstairs the appartment?

velvet-residents.com/rentals/amsterdam-dam-p…

Edited: 14 June 2012, 21:04
Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone Rent An Amsterdam Apartment From Holiday Velvet?

The link on the owner states that he has now sold the downstairs restaurant and moved out of the apartment, in order to rent it short term. I'm now (aren't Americans worryworts!) a little concerned to think about renting an apartment over a restaurant. WIll it be noisy, etc.? We were also told that there are a "few" steps to get to the property. If it is over a restaurant, how many is "few"?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,121 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone Rent An Amsterdam Apartment From Holiday Velvet?

lol...few steps...let me tranlate for you...in holland that means 25 or 30 steps that are nearly vertical..most apartments you have to call someone to arrange a meet to swap keys..which as you say might be difficult if you are not used to using your cell phone overseas..if you havent booked yet take a look at::

www.amsterdamstay.com or many other reputable brokers

if something makes you nervous about this company...back away

London
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone Rent An Amsterdam Apartment From Holiday Velvet?

Hello, this Vanessa from Holiday Velvet.

I allow myself to participate in this conversation since

1. I've stayed at the Dam Palace Duplex apartment in Amsterdam

2. I'm the one who made the movie about Ray, the owner

3. I happen to be a director at Holiday Velvet ; )

What I can say about the apartment:

it's our best property in Amsterdam, no noise at all from the restaurant, fantastically comfortable, really well appointed, central, and...the terrace!. This was our most booked property in 2011 and we only get 5 star reviews as you can see from our website.

Check-in Procedures:

I've just checked with the team on who had a conversation with an American lady last week about this particular apartment, and it would seem you spoke to Tere. She apologies if she confused you with our check-in procedures. Although we communicate your arrival details to the owner, we kindly ask you to also call on arrival just to confirm that you're on your way... this is part of the process for a smooth arrival. In any case I would advise for you to get a cell phone / chip that works in Europe, so we can reach you and you can reach us.

About Holiday Velvet:

you're correct, we're a worldwide agency and run our business from London and Barcelona. We do not (yet!) have offices in all our destinations. What we do have is a 24 hour hotline and a great network of properties in Amsterdam in case anything goes wrong - meaning we can relocate you in case of a last minute problem. We pride ourselves on giving our clients the chance to live like local with the piece of mind that we're always here to help. Since 2006 we've sent 70,000 travelers in privately owned holiday rentals....worldwide! Basically what I'm trying to say is: this is a well-oiled machine!

Anymore questions please don't hesitate to call or email Tere and wether you book with us or not: I wish you a wonderful stay in this fantastic city!

Zurich, Switzerland
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone Rent An Amsterdam Apartment From Holiday Velvet?

we booked an apartment via holiday velvet in amsterdam, keys should be collected in an office near the central station (direct housing/living capital). upon arrival, we were told that there was a 'problem' with our apartment, and were reallocated to a different apartment in the same building. We were told that the apartment would be of equivalent standard. Once in the apartment, we noticed that the standard did not correspond at all to the description of the apartment we originally booked. Obviously, the 'problem' was a double booking, since our booked apartment was occupied by other people.

Fortunately, after complaining in the local office (living capital), we were reallocated to a much better apartment. However, two days later we got a phone call that we should change apartments again (fortunately in the same building), because of another computer problem in the managment of the booking.

All in all, we changed apartments twice within 7 days. Although a compensation was discussed by a responsible of the local agency (living capital), we did not get a final answer until know.

We are disappointed of the service provided and will never book again via this agency. We recognize that there mainly is a problem with the local agent responsible of managing the apartments of different internet booking agencies (direct housing/living capital), however we would expect that holiday velvet collaborates with serious partners.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone Rent An Amsterdam Apartment From Holiday Velvet?

Hmm, only 3 posts from Holiday Velvet & all are in response to fraud---I dont think I'd do business with this company either , especially when there are so many reputable companies in amsterdam.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone Rent An Amsterdam Apartment From Holiday Velvet?

Thanks for input. We decided to go another route!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,121 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone Rent An Amsterdam Apartment From Holiday Velvet?

i wouldnt do it just because of the name...holiday velvet? what the h*ll does that mean?...i know, i get annoyed over small stuff

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone Rent An Amsterdam Apartment From Holiday Velvet?

ha just read a few posts here & i have to say i agree with Michel580. I will NEVER BOOK THROUGH LIVING CAPITAL AGAIN!!!!

We are only back from Amsterdam since Sunday & arrived off the 6am flight into Amsterdam on Thursday 8th November 2012.

We arrived to the offices of Capital Living on Thursday morning, only to be told on arrival that the original apartment that we booked was no longer available. Even though we had booked this apartment back in September!! We were told that we should have been made aware of this piror to arriving, however the lead passenger didnt received any notification even though she spoke to someone in Capital Living the day before we left (Wed 7th Nov) to confirm!!!

We were told we would be offered something else within our original cirteria, ha that was a joke!!! Our main criteria was to be central & near to Dam Square. we had a total of 4 people in our party & agreed among ourselves that if we were to get another apartment that was the same as our original criteria we would mind walking 10-15mins to Dam Square.

The lady then proceeded to show us 3 different aparts all about 45mins walk from the Centre...... Plus these apts she was showing us were only 1 bed originally we had booked a 2 bed. We told them no that this was too far out & we needed something closer.

The lady behind the desk then spoke with i presume her superviser & all of a sudden they had a 1 bed apartment available above there old office Nieuwe Nieuwstraat 21.

Although this was a smaller apartment it was close to the centre & decided that this would do as we didnt want to spend anymore time wasted on looking for accom.

We where told that the apartment was ready & we could go straight across, great we thought. Over we went to the new apartment lugged all our cases up the stairs to open the door to find the place completely untidy & peoples stuff in the apartment. We then went down to the old office & asked one of the fellas in there to ring across to the new office. We were told that the cleaner mustnt have been in there yet & were told we could leave our bags in the old office & to come back at 3 it should all be ready then! So this was about 12pm when we left to kill sometime before coming back to a nice clean apartment...... ONLY THAT NEVER HAPPEND!!!

When we arrived back to the apartment we checked with the fella's in the office to see if the apartment was ready & we were told "Yes the cleaners have been, its ready for you now" so again after lugging our cases back up the stairs to open the door to exactly what we faced 3 hours earlier was a JOKE!!! By this stage we were getting a bit peeved. We went back down to the office & demanded someone from the new office come over to us as we were not happy. A girl arrived over from the new office & what i have to say annoyed us even more was that she wasnt even willing to go & look at the state of the apartment!!! She told us to make our way to the new office & they would show us more apartments that they had avilable in Dam Square..... Hang on didnt they not say they didnt have anything central!!!

To be honest the whole thing was a bit of a sham, we got a full refund except for the €80 deposit we had to pay when booking on line. At first they seemed to want to do anything to help, but towards the end the manager became rude & basically just wanted to get rid!! So we had to stay in a hostel on the thursday night & then go around all day friday trying to find accom. Wasnt the best start to our break :(

To say we were dissappointed is an understatement, I WILL NEVER USE THIS COMPANY AGAIN!!!

Bristol
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone Rent An Amsterdam Apartment From Holiday Velvet?

Quite concerned now

I have just booked a large apartment in Amsterdam for my stag weekend - Kingsize apartment (that's the name, not the size) that sleeps 18 people. I booked through amsterdamstay.com but have noticed that some apartments on there suddenly become unavailable - not just booked for a week or so, but the webpage says apartment offline.

I paid a deposit online and I thought I'd contact the owners just to get in touch. Getting emails back from Living Capital. They are saying the remainder of the balance is payable in cash ONLY on arrival. Don't really want to arrive in Amsterdam then head for a bank to try and withdraw around €3000. Started to sound a bit dodgy and here I am.

Am I setting myself up for a big scam or to turn up and find that they cannot find beds for 18 of us?