We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out in Amsterdam with kids

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Germany
Level Contributor
566 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Eating out in Amsterdam with kids

Hello all,

We'll be in Amsterdam in July and are looking for places to eat out - from full-service restaurant through fish or ice cream booths to bakeries - that are inexpensive and kid-friendly.

My kids are adventurous in food and will try practically anything. They love Japanese, Dutch, Italian and Indonesian food, but no fast food chains.

Any recommendations in central Amsterdam? We will be staying north of central station (on the other side of the Ij) so also any place good in that area.

I checked the http://www.iens.nl website but I didn't see an option for searching by price range or being kid-friendly.

Thanks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,971 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out in Amsterdam with kids

sounds like :LaPlace would be good. lot of choices. there is one in the kalvortoren shopping center and the main library near centraal station

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
34 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out in Amsterdam with kids

Kids love the pancake restaurants. I think Pancakes! Amsterdam and Pancakes Upstairs are two of the best.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,288 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out in Amsterdam with kids

There's a new large Italian place on the corner of the Rembrandtplein called Vipiano, next to the Ajax store. I noticed they were really cheap. Or if you want authentic family run Italian then Lo Stivale d'Oro just along the street.

If they will eat chinese then Nam Kee, Wing Kee or Nam king on the Zeedijk. To be honest Cheap eats and Amsterdam doesn’t really go but Chinese will be your best bet.

The Walk to Wok places are also very good value.

Shabu Shabu and Sumo do very nice all you can eat sushi and Japanese food.I thik they do kids menus. Very good value.

For lunch in town try La Place, its part of V&D on the Kalverstraat. Very nice bread, hot selection and salad bar at a reasonable price.

Not that many restaurants are so kid friendly. Vary rarely have I seen a kids menu when eating out (maybe just didn't notice of course). Of course Moeders for Dutch food.

Some decent suggestions here

totntow.com/2010/…

Pannenkoekenhuis Upstairs near the Hotel L'Europe might be a suggestion.

Outside terrace try the Cobra Cafe by the Rijks. There is a childres play are next to it althogh you don't say how old the children are.

Sorry can’t help with Amsterdam North. I only just discovered people actually lived there ;-)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out in Amsterdam with kids

You could try

http://www.noorderlichtcafe.nl/?p=home

It's a cool place next to one of the ferry terminals, or

http://www.hetsluisje.nl/

Old style Dutch cafe

They are the only 2 places I've been in the Noord, both decent options but there is way more choice across the river. If they like Indonesian, just search the forum and we've all given our fav Rijsttafel joints.

Zas

Edited: 20 June 2012, 16:11
liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out in Amsterdam with kids

how old are the kids? Do you require highchairs, or pushchair access?

Where 'central' are you likely to be visiting? so can base ideas around this.

La Place at either V&D or the Library is a good idea as is the pancake house; my daughter didnt like the Nam Kee etc on zeedijk just because they are so filled with 'hanging ducks' in the window, it really put her off, but that wouldnt apply to most kids. Also at the library is a VaPiano - an Italian that is well priced and has seating on the terrace - close to Nemo if you plan to visit.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out in Amsterdam with kids

Hi

Moeder's has a kids menu - and although the adult menu features Dutch specialties it also has a dagmenu with (normally) a biefstuk and a daily fish special also.

And yes pancakes restaurants or Italian places are also good choices for kids.

Enjoy - MMK

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out in Amsterdam with kids

Have a ´Rijsttafel ´ at an Indonesian restaurant. You will get a table full of different dishes. Great fun for kids!

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out in Amsterdam with kids

We diner with a toddler in Adam for a week last April. Every single place we went to was friendly towards our girl! We mainly stayed in the Jordaan area between Heren- & Prisengracht.

I second the pancakes and Rijstaffel!

Germany
Level Contributor
566 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating out in Amsterdam with kids

Thanks so much for all this info!

I've copied all the names of the places you recommended - I've already checked the websites of some of them and they seem really nice (although Google translator said something about pigs having sex in one of them... but I'm sure it will be fine (-;).

To answer some questions and give more info: the kidas are 7 & 11 years old and don't need a kids' menu. I'm just looking for a place where families are welcome (as opposed to someplace that caters mostly to couples or business people on meetings for instance) and where it will be OK if the kids make some regular kids noise.

Pancakes, both poffertjes and panneckoeken, will be perfect - I've been to the Pancake Bakery and The Carousel before so I'll give your recommendations a try this time.

Rijsttafel will be a real treat for them - they have had many Indonesian meals at home but never a proper "Rijsttafel" - I'll search for the recommended restaurants thread.

The recommendations for the places near Nemo and in North Amsterdam will come in very handy when we want to have dinner near the apartment.

By the way, any good places for take out food? like delis, bakeries etc? Really good place for Ice cream or desserts?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating out in Amsterdam with kids

Now I am curious, can you post the link about the pigs? :)