We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re Bringing Packaged Salmon in and out of Amsterdam

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Question re Bringing Packaged Salmon in and out of Amsterdam

Hello,

I will be spending four days in Amsterdam next month (coming from Canada) and then going on to visit family in Denmark. I want to bring packaged smoked salmon (vacuum-packed, no refrigeration needed) as gifts for my Danish relatives. Does anyone know if there restrictions against bringing food items into (and out of) the Netherlands?

Many thanks . . . and I'm really looking forward to seeing Amsterdam. This forum has been really helpful in planning my trip.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re Bringing Packaged Salmon in and out of Amsterdam

I think importation may not be 'officially' allowed but as you are coming from a low risk country you are very unlikely to be checked.Even if you are, the worst that will happen is that they confiscate the salmon.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,080 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re Bringing Packaged Salmon in and out of Amsterdam

if you land around lunch more risk of salmon being seized.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re Bringing Packaged Salmon in and out of Amsterdam

Thanks for your reply. OK, I'll pack it in my luggage and hope for the best.

If worst comes to worst, I might arrive gift-less, but it doesn't sound like I'd be serving a prison term for international fish smuggling!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,903 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re Bringing Packaged Salmon in and out of Amsterdam

I could not find an NL site but this is from the UK DEFRA site which you can expand to the rest of the EU.

You are allowed to bring up to 20kg of processed fish products per person apparently.

defra.gov.uk/food-farm/…

Fish/fishery products (including caviar not from certain protected species e.g. salmon caviar) /bivalves (dead)

20 kg total weight per person or the weight of one fish, whichever weight is the highest:

Fish – fresh (must be gutted)

Fishery products eg processed fish (dried, cooked, cured or smoked), lobsters and prawns

Bivalves (dead) eg mussels and oysters

So it seems you are good to go.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re Bringing Packaged Salmon in and out of Amsterdam

Thanks very much. It's good to know that I'll be "legal" . . . or almost, since I think I'll probably be over the limit!

6. Re: Question re Bringing Packaged Salmon in and out of Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 23:46