We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

only 2 - Half Days in Amsterday :(

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
35 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
only 2 - Half Days in Amsterday :(

Hi; due to a scheduling glitch my brother and I will only have one afternoon/evening and one morning/early afternoon in Amsterdam. Any ideas on what are the MUSTS to see? We will be there July 17/18. We are both in our early 50's. I am a vegetarian, my brother is a photography expert. (random information, but thought it might help) :)

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: only 2 - Half Days in Amsterday :(

refer to top questions on right hand side......

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: only 2 - Half Days in Amsterday :(

Read the top questions indeed. You will have to decide for yourself what you want. For one the must see is the Red Light District, for another the Van Gogh museum.

As a photography expert, your brother will have a field day in Amsterdam with the canals and the monumental buildings.

There are several vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam if you're looking for them.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: only 2 - Half Days in Amsterday :(

Canal cruise as well

Colorado
Level Contributor
35 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: only 2 - Half Days in Amsterday :(

any recommendations on Which Canal Cruise to take? Probably need one that is not hours and hours long. Took me a minute I was looking for questions ON THE TOP of the page, haha, not "Top questions about Amsterdam" duh!

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
441 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: only 2 - Half Days in Amsterday :(

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i25460-Cultural…

Maybe my triplist (although for 4 days) can give some inspiration?

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: only 2 - Half Days in Amsterday :(

The regular canal cruises are all one hour long and about the same quality. The most recommended on this forum is Kooij on the Damrak, just a few minutes walk if you comes out of the Central Station.

Edited: 05 July 2012, 12:21
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: only 2 - Half Days in Amsterday :(

I normally steer people to Rederij Plas on Damrak. It is a bit cheaper than Kooij for what is basically the same tour.

Level Contributor
6 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: only 2 - Half Days in Amsterday :(

I've just come back from 3 days in Amsterdam and that still wasn't enough!!! As someone else said the Red Light Area is a must see!!! We did a 2 hour canal cruise in the evening(can't remember which company??) which was really good, interesting and so beautiful. Dam square is another lovely place with lots of bars and restaurants. Have a good trip!! :-)

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: only 2 - Half Days in Amsterday :(

i like the blue boats for canal cruise...they have an open stern where you can sit outside on a nice day. which is more conducive for nice photos.

http://www.blueboat.nl/index_en.html

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: only 2 - Half Days in Amsterday :(

Oops, you're absolutely right, Brian. Plas is asking ­€8,50 while Kooij charge a whopping 9 euro :-)