We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel to Gent then to Brugge and return

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
307 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel to Gent then to Brugge and return

Since the tickets are not available until 90 days in advance for trip planning purposes where do I find the daily schedules for both Thalys and ICC trains? Ive tried to fake a Thalys ticket but the schedule is confusing to read...ie. want to leave from Amsterdam around 10 30 am to Gent via Antwerp can I find my connection times easily? As well from Brugge back to Amsterdam same time 10:30 or 11:00?

Thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,708 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel to Gent then to Brugge and return

Hi there,

Both www.nshispeed.nl and www.b-rail.be seem clear enough to us. For Ghent they'll only show transfers in Antwerp, for Brugge often also in Brussels. But please clarify what info you are lacking for any fake date...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Toronto
Level Contributor
307 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel to Gent then to Brugge and return

Never tried the first one, I'll give it a try and let you know how I make out. Thx

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel to Gent then to Brugge and return

Do you absolutely need to change in Antwerp? I just used SNCB to fake a journey from Amsterdam to Ghent in 3 months time, there was a train leaving Ams. at 10:46, arriving at Ghent at 14:07, with a 5 minutes transfer in Malines (Mechelen in Dutch). http://hari.b-rail.be/HAFAS/bin/query.exe/en

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,708 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel to Gent then to Brugge and return

Okay, new schedules from the Belgians! Never had that before in our then-frequent shuttling to Ghent. Malines is a much smaller station so easier to transfer. On the other hand the IC train which you'll use now is 1 hour slower than Thalys and a bit more delay-prone than that one...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Toronto
Level Contributor
307 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel to Gent then to Brugge and return

Hi, I entered the dates one way Amsterdam Ceentral to Gent on the nshispeed site and have a couple more questions:

Does this site allow you to purchase the IC trains (Antwerp to Gent) as well as the Thayls train to Antwerp? It appears on the itinerary and I thought I had read that this couldn't be done, or is it just used as a tool to assist you in scheduling?

My husband is considered a senior but there appears to be no savings unless they are only available right at initial release of tickets which I think is 90 days before?

Would I be best to purchase my return days later from Brugge? Does it provide any savings to do so?

Thank you for your assistance

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel to Gent then to Brugge and return

IC trains offer no discount if purchased in advance. If you book through the Thalys site you can choose Any Belgian Station (ABS) as a destination that would cover travel from Antwerp to Gent. http://www.thalys.com/be/en/

As fas as I know there is not a senior discount on the trains.

As for the return from Brugge, the ABS ticket would cover the IC train to Antwerp and then Thalys onto Amsterdam. No it would not provide any savings to wait and purchase later.

Toronto
Level Contributor
307 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel to Gent then to Brugge and return

Hi Balou, I tried a dummy ticket on Thalys site but Belgium ABS said that ticketless is not available for ABS. I find the http://www.nshispeed.nl/ easier to use but am unsure if it includes the actual tickets for Thalys to Antwep as well as the IC tain to Gent.

Edited: 06 September 2012, 03:28
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,649 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel to Gent then to Brugge and return

Unless this is a one day out and back trip, I'd just take the IC option. That way you can purchase your tickets at the station on day of travel and are not limited to a specific day or time as you would be on the Thalys. We prefer to use the German Railroad site to check schedules Europe wide.

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel to Gent then to Brugge and return

Colie, you want to choose Paper ticket and Belgium. You will still have the option to print your ticket at home.

And unfortunately the NS Hispeed site does not offer the ABS option. And the NS site maybe easier to use but it can be a pain when actually trying to get the charge to go through.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,613 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel to Gent then to Brugge and return

If I can just interject. There really is no such thing as ticketless as I have said before many times. You still need to print off your confirmation from Thalys in Ticketless. To me that is just another form of printing an actual ticket!

So ABS on the Thalys is the way to go if you book early enough. It lasts until the next day too so if you stay in Ghent (which I recommend) you can use the ticket to get to Brugge the next day.

Forget about the senior thing. There are senior tickets but the only advantage of them is if you are leaving in the next week when they might work out cheaper but if you beek the really cheap Smoove tickets on the Thalys they are about half the price of a senior one.

Sign up for special offer e-mails from NShispeed. I was in Ghent a few weeks ago and got 1st class returns for 50 euros from Amsterdam.

By the way I stayed in the Sandton Reyloff in Ghent. Excellent hotel.