We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Amesterdam to Prague

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
train from Amesterdam to Prague

Hi,

I am leaving my tour couch in Amsterdam and meeting them again in Prague ( did not get visa to Germany!!! Arggg) the cheapest flights arrive at night time and I prefer to arrive there morning or afternoon. any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Omar

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Amesterdam to Prague

What do you mean you didn't get a visum for Germany?

If you are allowed into the Netherlands you have a Schengen visum, which is also valid for Germany.

Also, a train would be going thru Germany normally.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
870 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Amesterdam to Prague

Yeh, if you are not allowed to enter Germany, then you are also not allowed to enter the Netherlands. If you have a visa for the Netherlands - it is valid for all Schengen treaty countries (most of european countries) - including the Netherlands, Germany and Czech republic. Amsterdam to Prague by train will be a loooong trip. Just spend the extra 50€ and get a plane ticket. Look also at the Wizzair flights from Eindhoven to Prague - Eindhoven is about an hour by train from Amsterdam, and there is also a cheap coach several times a day going from Amsterdam Central station right to the Eindhoven airport (http://www.airexpressbus.com).

The cheapest, but also the longest way to go from Amsterdam to Prague is by Eurolines coach (takes 26 hours) - http://www.eurolines.com .

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,637 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Amesterdam to Prague

To the OP: you give your location as Dublin, so if you are an Irish national you do not need a visa for The Netherlands, Germany or The Czech Republic. However you will undergo immigration at the point where you enter the Schengen Zone.

If you are not an Irish National, and have obtained a visa for a Schengen Zone country, can you tell us why you think you are not allowed to enter Germany, which is also a Schengen Zone country?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,327 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Amesterdam to Prague

And tell us why you think that there are any actual border controls on the roads between these countries because there isn't.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Amesterdam to Prague

Thanks guys for your reply, no I am not an Irish citizen and I do know Germany is part of the Schengen but it was issued as " Schengen estates - DE " and the guy at the French Embassy told me I am not allowed to enter Germany with the reason being that I did not sign my passport ( which was done later in 2 seconds!!) and followed matters with the German embassy but they could not do anything as they told me I should apply again and wait 2weeks for a new visa which I dont have time to unless I miss a week out of my tour. So I will leave the tour coach twice and by pass Germany to Prague once ,and later from Interlaken in Switzerland to Paris ( which I will ask about how to get there later once I sort out this one)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,327 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Amesterdam to Prague

Dude. that sound like a complte load of bollocks to me. What does Schengen Estates - DE mean?? Why would the French Embassy tell you that you have to exclude Germany? This does not add up at all. What nationality are you?

There is no need to leave your coach tour. Like I said there are no borders between NL & Germany. rarely & I mean rarely they will sometimes stop vehicles and do a random inspection but that is normally based on some intel that they have.

Literally hundreds of thousands of vehicles pass across German borders every day at hundreds of crossing points with no border checks. My boss lives in Emmerich just inside Germany and commutes to work.

Swiss borders a different story as they do have border controls as they are not part of the EU.

As said also how do you expect to get to Prague by train without travelling through Germany. Look at a map my friend. to ge to CZ from NL there is a big place called Germany. Avoiding that and Switzerland would involve a very long train journey through Belgiaum, France, Italy and Austria

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: train from Amesterdam to Prague

DE is not an existing country code for visa purposes. I suppose it says 'ETATS SCHENGEN (-D)' instead?

Strange situation, never heard of that before. Of course you can take the risk (there are normally no border controls to Germany from the Netherlands or Switzerland, although sometimes they do stop coaches for random checks), but your travel company might not like that.

You can use www.bahn.de for train planning in Europe. Interlaken-Paris is doable, but Amsterdam-Prague routes you normally through Germany and is quite long anyway. Try for example with Paris as VIA destination.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,678 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from Amesterdam to Prague

I read here

uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index…

that it is possible to have a Schengen visum with an exemption to a certain country. But it is really strange. Have you been in Germany before and did anything illegal? There must be something more to this story!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from Amesterdam to Prague

No never been to Germany and as I said before, the reason is that my passport was not signed by me! thats what the French embassy said and thats what the German embassy confirmed after admitting that this is really stupid.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train from Amesterdam to Prague

I know that I could take the risk, but as you said they do random check on coaches and also the tour company would not like that. So I will end up leaving the tour twice and bypassing Germany which would cost me around 500 Euro extra for 2 more flights and 4 nights accommodation! thats the most ridiculous and unfair thing I heard of. Despite providing them with letters from college,accomodations and sufficient financial support they chose the most stupid reason for rejecting visa to Germany. The French Embassy blames the German rules and the Germans blame inefficiency of the french for not checking the passport at application.. and I end up as the victim..I am really Furious!!