We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Best 5 Star Hotel in Amsterdam???

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
277 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
The Best 5 Star Hotel in Amsterdam???

what is the best 5 star hotel in amsterdam?

location wise and quality of the hotel+rooms

is it the

Sofitel?

Intercontinental?

or others?

as i'm traveling with young children, i'm looking for a clean, safe area with plenty of restaurants and shops

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,362 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Best 5 Star Hotel in Amsterdam???

Hi there,

Locationwise if you want nearby restaurants/shops, the Sofitel is more suited. Intercontinental is THE Grande-Dame amongst the Amsterdam hotels but a bit isolated, though it's a quick tram ride away from e.g. Leidseplein restaurant/shop area. Sofitel Grand is more central. Okura could be an option too, it has plenty of restaurants at walking distance (though not the most upmarket shops) and is still in a bit quieter area than Sofitel.

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Leidseplein Hostel
Leidseplein Hostel
307 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Best 5 Star Hotel in Amsterdam???

Its between those two, of them the Sofitel has IMO a better location. One other contender is the newly refurbished Hotel De L'Europe - http://www.leurope.nl/ it is arguably in the best spot in town.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,093 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Best 5 Star Hotel in Amsterdam???

Also the Dylan. Perhaps the new Conservatorium.

Mentioned in this post
The Dylan Amsterdam
The Dylan Amsterdam
664 Reviews
Conservatorium Hotel
Conservatorium Hotel
1,433 Reviews
Germany
Level Contributor
600 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Best 5 Star Hotel in Amsterdam???

May I suggest something?

I'm not familiar with hotels, but with little kids (elsewhere the OP wrote they are 2 & 3 years old) maybe the museums area will be better than smack in the middle of things - (provided the weather is nice and sunny) it will give easy access to Vondelpark & Museumplein for the kids to run around & there is even a nice little park on the canal (kids can feed the ducks) with play area on Weteringschans near the Weteringplatsoens.

There are still plenty of shops and restaurants in the general area (Ferdinand Bolstraat, Van Baerlestraat, Leidseplein & Leidsestraat etc) and the area is somewhat less crowded and probably quieter in the evening/night.

Mentioned in this post
Vondelpark
Vondelpark
20,723 Reviews
Leidseplein Hostel
Leidseplein Hostel
307 Reviews
Kiev, Ukraine
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Best 5 Star Hotel in Amsterdam???

Intercontinental is definitely one of the best ones. I guess it should be good for you and your kids. There are of course many more options if you will still be looking www.holland.net/business/category/hotel

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
802 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The Best 5 Star Hotel in Amsterdam???

Hmm...I wonder which one he went to. Perhaps he'll be good enough to come back and tell everyone? :-)

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Best 5 Star Hotel in Amsterdam???

does the pulitzer rank with these hotels, seems centrally located to many of the neighborhoods including the museum area?

Amstelveen, The...
Level Contributor
90 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Best 5 Star Hotel in Amsterdam???

The Pulitzer is at the top of my list for location, local flare, and service. My wife worked as a local contact for Abercrombie and Kent for several years and the most positive feedback and fewest complaints came from those staying at the Pulitzer. Though the De L'Europe finally received its much-needed makeover, the rooms are still extremely small for a five star hotel, even by Amsterdam standards.

Mentioned in this post
Pulitzer Amsterdam
Pulitzer Amsterdam
1,006 Reviews
Kent
Kent
England, UK
De L'Europe Amsterdam
De L'Europe Amsterdam
1,634 Reviews
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
460 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Best 5 Star Hotel in Amsterdam???

thank you, puspawn. friends are spending a week there in mid october and have invited us to travel with them. good to hear.

10. Re: The Best 5 Star Hotel in Amsterdam???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2013, 10:15