We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slap on that sun screen!!!!!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,747 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Slap on that sun screen!!!!!

Strong sun warning issued

Wednesday 25 July 2012

The public health institute RIVM on Wednesday took the unusual step of issuing a strong sun warning, urging people to cover up outdoors because of the risk of burning.

The international ultraviolet or UV index is set to hit seven on Wednesday and Thursday - which only happens around four times a year, the RIVM said.

This means just 15 minutes of exposure to the sun's rays can lead to burning, increasing the risk of skin cancer.

A UV level of eight or above has been recorded just twice in the Netherlands in the past 15 years.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Slap on that sun screen!!!!!

A UV level of eight or above has been recorded just twice in the Netherlands in the past 15 years.

we have probably had 90 of these already this year...

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,747 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slap on that sun screen!!!!!

Here in New Zealand, like Australia, we have a weak ozone layer...so we burn easily too.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
563 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Slap on that sun screen!!!!!

hope the good weather continues as am in AMS next week but looking at the forecast i think i am going to be out of luck

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,745 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Slap on that sun screen!!!!!

Well, you are probably right and it might be a risk for the skin, but I have to admit that I enjoy the sun during this "summer", regardless how strong it might be, although I normally no sun worshipper.

Edited: 26 July 2012, 22:34
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
717 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slap on that sun screen!!!!!

I was there tues-wed-thurs and was in the sun all day.. although I'm barely tanned at all. Although my forehead is red a bit. It's the first time it hasn't rained when I've been there in July, hurrah!! :)

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Slap on that sun screen!!!!!

in may 2006 during a business trip..there was a period of no rain for 2 straight weeks..temps in the 70's, some 80's...it was beautiful!!..but my dutch friends were freaking because they had never, or at least couldnt remember, ever going 2 weeks without rain.

7. Re: Slap on that sun screen!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2013, 10:16