We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam - first time (September)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam - first time (September)

My husband and I have finally locked down our dates/trip and will be in Amsterdam from Sept 11-14. It is our first time there and any tips/advice would be helpful. We're staying near Centraal stattion and have so far only booked ourselves for a walking city tour on our first day there. We don't want to spend all our time at museums so if people could recommend 1 or 2 must see museums then that would be great. Similarly any other sightseeing areas that you recommend first timers to visit - please pass them on. Any help would be super :)

That Dam Guide
Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
FreeDam Tours
Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Hungry Birds, Amsterdam Street Food Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Joy Ride Tours
Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam - first time (September)

IMO certainly the VanGoghMuseum. That is my one should not miss.

A canal boat tour----about one hour should be on your list

Walking the inner canal area is like a museum in and of itself.

My advice is to do as much walking as your legs will allow.

It is easy and safe and fun and interesting.

The RLD area for sure is an area to walk a time or two.

The first time is a unique and great time------enjoy.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam - first time (September)

check our Top questions about AMSTERDAM

upper right, this page..this will give you some tips

Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam - first time (September)

The only museum I've been to in Amsterdam is the sex museum! If u try it take ur camera for some funny photo opportunities. Enjoy ally.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam - first time (September)

I enjoyed the Royal Palace on Dam Square and it's also quite inexpensive in case you are on a budget.

Rembrandthuis is another good museum, it's not that big but it's in the actual house where he lived, and they give a demonstration on etching technique. It also has a audio tour included in the entry fee which informs you about each room and which way Rembrandt used it.

Just walk around the canals and remember to look up to admire the houses, many are amazing feats of architecture.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam - first time (September)

I have been to Amsterdam many times and never tire of it.

A river cruise is a good idea for a first time visitor certainly at the start of your holiday.

The best way I have found to enjoy the City is on foot. I have never used public transport in the City centre at all.

A stroll through the red light district is usually on someones itinerary when they have never been before.

I am not a big fan of museums but if I chose one it would be Anne Frank House. It fascinated me and I was there a few hours.

A Diamond Factory Tour I enjoyed and yes I did come home with a ring and its certificate:-)

One thing to be aware of is the bicycles. They can be lethal if you are not used to so many of them and I have nearly come to a bad end a few times.

6. Re: Amsterdam - first time (September)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2013, 10:15