We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canal cruise or walking tour?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Canal cruise or walking tour?

Hi everyone, thank you in advance esp to those who have already helped me in preparing our trip to Amsterdam.

As the trip is this weekend, I have one final question. We have decided that we will be renting a canal bike to enjoy the canals. However, am wondering in addition to that, is it still worth going on a canal cruise or are we better off going on a walking tour instead. Just that reading on TA, sounds like the commentries on the canal cruises are often not very good and walking tour guides might be able to give better informations.

Thanks.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canal cruise or walking tour?

For a first time visitor I would always recommend a canal cruise earlier rather than later in your stay. As you are planning to hire canal bikes however the decision is more marginal. I'd probably lean towards a walking tour but there is not a lot in it.

The weather might make my decision for me in the end. Walking rond in pouring rain isn't much fun. At least you are dry on the boats.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canal cruise or walking tour?

Indeed, do a canal cruise as a starter and to get a nice view for the city.

Later a walking tour if you are interested in this. A canal bike is just for fun, I don't think you will go far.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,902 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canal cruise or walking tour?

I have been on many canal tours over the years.

I have enjoyed each and every one.

A delightful hour

By all means do one

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canal cruise or walking tour?

Thanks everyone.....looks like the votes are on canal cruise, which was what I was more keen on as well! :-)

Will probably go on the cruise with the BoatHouse after our visit to Anne Frank House. I was reading the TA reviews and some said they have recorded commentaries and some say they have the captain giving commentaries. Does anyone know which is the case?

Many thanks again.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canal cruise or walking tour?

My fave is the one you sign up at Boom Chicago Nightclub---an open boat where you can bring food, drinks or whatever to enjoy during an informative but very local-flavoured cruise---around 10 euros if it hasn't changed....

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,902 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canal cruise or walking tour?

The Boom Chicago one was closed. I am not aware they have started up again.

Do not sweat the commentary issue.

It is hardly an issue for a first time visitor. The commentary is quite good. It just gets repeated several times in many different languages.

After the 5th or 6th time it becomes more of a big deal.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canal cruise or walking tour?

If you use the Blue Boat Company that leaves from near the Leidseplein, behind the Hard Rock Cafe, you will get individual headphones and can choose your own language. Two advantages: you dont have to listen to the litany of repetition in several languages and you also get more commentary since they dont need all the time to repeat everything several times when passing landmarks and noteworthy sights.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,656 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canal cruise or walking tour?

There is no hard and fast rule. The company I use most is Rederij Plas on Damrak as they are the cheapest and all the offerings are pretty well the same. Last time we had the captain comentating. He was both funny and informative. Other times, with the same company, I have just had the multilingual, somewhat boring, pre-recorded commentary.

If you gioo with one of the bigger companies such as Lovers or Tui you will almost certainly get a tape. With one of the smaller operators you at least stand a chance of getting a live commentary.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canal cruise or walking tour?

Hi

Both are great! this is not really helping right.... !

I know cool good deed tourism tour (Fridays and Sundays at 14:45) so it is not only walking around (or cycling because there are also cycling tours) and only listening but also doing good deed actions at the same time (like greeting firemen for the great job, guerrilla gardening, cleaning up parks, showing appreciation, meditation flash mobs, sending a message for world peace and learning about the green and good things happening in the city... Acitvities are optional. The tour is way more orientated to poeple and less touristic. It is a great tour!

Let me know if you would like more info!

https:/…92338957ee560cfafe6333ea2750a3ae

For the boat, there are plenty boat tour (rondvaart) as mentioned by lenny bruce by the hard rock cafe or by the central station (rokin)

they are all more or less the same price, the same route. This is true blue boat is a bit better, they also have dinner cruise or aperitive (borrel) cruise but the food is not the best in town to be honnest

How long are you planning to stay?

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canal cruise or walking tour?

Canal boat cruise is very different to the canal bikes - they look so much fun, but hard work, lol.

We have to agree with Brian, the one on Damrak is great - also had their cheese and wine tour a few years ago now (on our second trip making 5th next week)and it was soo good. Since been with Tui and they were rubbish in comparison;

whichever you choose though, have a great time!