We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant week

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant week

Hi,

I noticed that Restaurant Week in Amsterdam starts tomorrow through Sept 4--which coincides with our trip. I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for which restaurants to try. My home city (Houston) is nearing the end of it's *month long* Restaurant Week, and some restaurants definitely have more innovative menus and better value than others. Given my limited knowledge of the restaurant scene in Amsterdam, I figure I'd ask for some advice, tips, recommendations.

FYI for others who may be interested: This is the link where I first saw the info:

iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…restaurant-week

(There was some posts in prior years, but if Amsterdam is like Houston, the restaurant scene can change quickly as does Restaurant Week from one year to another)

Edited: 26 August 2012, 06:04
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant week

Hmm, I looked at a couple restaurants on the web site for R.W.

It looks to be differently set up--so there may not be much advice available.

Houston restaurants make their R.W. menu available in advance, so you can see which appeals, who's doing something different, see whether signature dishes are offered, etc. The info doesn't look to be made available in advance.

But any thoughts welcome.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,752 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant week

Interesting.

Make sure you give us some feed back on this after.

I assume some of the locals will chime in soon.

All I can say about RW in general is that I love them.

The mrs and I went to Ruth Chris here in Md.

A filet, salad, side and dessert was $30.

This may not mean much if you have never paid for a full price meal in Ruth Chris.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
158 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant week

Exactly. Some of the RW menus are a great value. We've tried out three new restaurants already--including a cooking school that participated with a special menu. (The dinner price in HOU is $35.) Others try out some new dishes. Others are more or less about the same price as the restaurant puts together its more economical dishes. But when the menu is published in advanced, you can find that stuff out with a little time clicking through the web site.

If I don't get any specific recommendations, we'll probably just see if there are any near the hotel and try it out.....

Edited: 26 August 2012, 23:11
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,645 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant week

IME most off the best restaurants just make a few covers available for this to get the publicity so gettinng a table at Ciel Bleu or the Amstel La Rive is practically impossible.

Also I find it very busy so its difficult for service levels not to drop and I don't find the prices that keen anyway especially if the cheapest bottle of wine is over €30. I don't even bother with it now.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant week

Getting a table at a Michelin restaurant would be the best value, difficult, but possible.

Holders of American Express cards will get first crack at reserving a table.

But if you know when the window is open, other people can also reserve.

Edited: 27 August 2012, 09:46
Chicago
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant week

We are doing lunch at Ron's fish of the day on Tuesday and Casa Peru on Wednesday for dinner. Easy to make reservations with quick response. Read some reviews on both of these places and some great and some not so much. We'll see.

We always do RW in Chicago when we are home, but the reservations go fast. Just wanted to try a few new places and this seemed like the time to do it.

S

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
882 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant week

Thanx for the tips---never done this in Atlanta and just made reservations at Rathbun Steak House, $35 prix fix!

8. Re: Restaurant week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2013, 10:17