We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For we stuffed shirts...

Level Contributor
29 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
For we stuffed shirts...

Still on the fence about how a mid-50's married couple would fit in & enjoy the city... it seems so much sounds like it's is being written by college seniors and rock band tech crew members, that it sounds like we've just signed on for either Cancun at Easter Break, or Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

We dont drink beer and we don't smoke weed. (LOL: I'm picturing Pinto in Animal House: "That means that one tiny atom in my fingernail could be one whole universe!....Could I buy some pot from you?")

But I digress.

Anyway, any thoughts on that perception, and opinion if 3 days is enough time to see the top 7-10 attractions in the city.

Thanks!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: For we stuffed shirts...

I am in my early 50s and I don't smoke weed.

Have been visiting Amsterdam for years and love it!

There is so much to see but my favourite thing to do is stroll by the canals anytime of year. The architecture is stunning and it is a great City to take some wonderful photographs.

The restaurants serve excellent food and so do the cafes. The desserts are to die for:-) My failing is the crepes. Sweet or savoury. Have at least one a day when I am there:-)

Amsterdam is always portrayed for drugs and prositutes but there is far more to this beautiful City than that.

I have very rarely been approached by a drug dealer. When I have it has been around Dam Square but I didn't feel threatened.

The Red Light District most tourists would go once I suppose but can be avoided.

You will find other side streets where prostitutes are sitting in their windows but they are not everywhere.

PC Hoofstraat is a good place to go window shopping. It has some fabulous shops. Good people watching territory too:-)

As already suggested don't miss Anne Frank House.

A canal cruise is nice to do.

Take a tour of a diamond factory which is interesting.

The Dutch People are truly lovely. Very polite and friendly.

So that is my opinion which might help but I do hope you will consider risking a visit.

Watch out for the bicycles if you do though because they can be lethal!

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
1,128 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: For we stuffed shirts...

see my trip report posted today i and husband were 50s

geelong
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: For we stuffed shirts...

In Amsterdam now & loving it. We are in our 60's. Stay away from the centre where the young ones congregate. We are staying near the Van Gogh museum & Vondel Park and it is lovely here. We are here for the museums, the canals, the history & are finding both the city & it's people to be truly delightful and very kind & helpfully to a couple of elderly Aussies.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
719 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: For we stuffed shirts...

My husband and I are in our 50's and we loved our stay in Amsterdam this summer! We never once felt out of place. I think the city has an unfair reputation as being full of drunk and stoned people walking around, but we didn't see that at all. It's a beautiful city with gorgeous canals, wonderful museums, great restaurants and cafes, and friendly people.

Jersey
Level Contributor
280 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: For we stuffed shirts...

Just returned from a four night stay in Amsterdam, it’s our 11th visit in 25 years. We done all the coffee shops in our early visits, sex shows and all the crazy things you do in your youth. We have done all the big museums and the small quirky museums, walked around canals, were we find little bars and cafes to spend a few hours. We have visited few places outside the city and spent some lovely sunny afternoons sitting in a park. This visit was another good one, added bonus of nice dry weather, spent a lot of time out with the cameras during the day and lot of walking. We had some nice meals and found some nice bars to relax. We also visited a coffeeshop in The Albert Cuyp Market and then a nice stroll back into the centrum. Amsterdam as something for everyone and all age groups

North Wilkesboro...
Level Contributor
84 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: For we stuffed shirts...

You can always look at the existence of coffeeshops as a positive reflection of Dutch pragmatism, as opposed to our puritanical, often hypocritical, views here in the US on soft drugs and sex.

17. Re: For we stuffed shirts...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 10:15