We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OV Chipkaart

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
OV Chipkaart

How much is an OV Chipkaart, where do I buy one, and how many times can I use it?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OV Chipkaart

Please see the top question with detailed info to the right about using t public transport. :-)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OV Chipkaart

RonaldoC: Just took a look at the OV article. If you are one of the people who maintain it, I might suggest adding some comment about the limited payment options for topping up an OV card in the small yellow machines at sales points like supermarkets, tabacco shops, etc. I use a personal one with automatic top up but I was pretty sure you need a Dutch bank card to top up your card at the little yellow machines. Handy for tourists to know if they enthusiastically purchase a €7.50 card and then go to charge it up.

Cheers!

Edited: 07 October 2012, 20:52
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OV Chipkaart

Hi Lenny, anyone is welcome to to maintain these articles as long as the info is valid so feel free to do so yourself if you want. Anyway there is a liink to a more detailed OV chipcard explanation tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c119198/Amste…

within that article.

It is not often recommended that tourists who only need to travel within Amsterdam that they get an anonymous card and that they are advised to buy a 24 hr etc card.

I do need to look through all the articles again but I'm on holiday at the moment.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OV Chipkaart

OK thanks for the additional explanation. Enjoy your holiday!!!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OV Chipkaart

So my best option to top up my anonymous OV-Chipkaart with cash is at Centraal Station? Just realized our cards dropped below €$4 coming home from dinner tonight.

Edited: 07 October 2012, 22:50
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OV Chipkaart

Chuck, apparently all the AH stores now take Meastro debit cards. Maybe you can find out if the yellow machines in all the stores also accept debit cards (if you have one that is).

Maybe you shoudl try to open a Dutch bank account whilst you are here. That would solve a lot of issues for you. Have you looked into that, forgot to ask you the other day

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OV Chipkaart

Thanks Ron. I'll have a look at the machine next time I'm in AH.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OV Chipkaart

Tried ever bit of plastic I had. The AH machine told me "This card is rejected". Topped up at Centraal at the NS domestic desk. 2 minutes, no extra charges.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,948 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: OV Chipkaart

you topped off at desk with CC?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor