We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Toren or Hotel Estherea

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
The Toren or Hotel Estherea

Thanks all for your recent responses. After a lot of deliberation we have decided to treat ourselves to one of the above options. Both seem to have good and not so good points after trawling through reviews. The Estherea looks classy and elegant but the noise seems to be an issue and im a very light sleeper- although maybe I wont hear anything after a couple of nights out in Amsterdam!

The Toren is more expensive but has a great special offer on through TA- free upgrade if they have availability, which for 2 nights end of Feb a monday and tues so Im thinking we might have a good chance? Also free drink, chocs and half price breakfast with the offer.

I would really appreciate some advice

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,644 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Toren or Hotel Estherea

I don't know the Toren but will say that the Estherea is my favourite hotel in Amsterdan.

Difficult to say what makes it so special. Yes it is clean ond comfortable, yes the location is great but that is not it. It is just classy. You'll find that out for yourself if/when you stay there. :-)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,613 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Toren or Hotel Estherea

Both nice hotels. The Toren is more boutique and the Estherea is very kitsch with lots of wood paneling and floral patterns. Depends on your taste I suppose.

Location wise both are good.

What's the noise issue about? It's on the Singel canal so It's not like there are hoards of teenagers or even lots of traffic passing by

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Toren or Hotel Estherea

Hello!

THE TOREN!!!!

I wasn't in any of them but, my best friend did, at The Toren.

He celebrated, somewhere through this summer, the first year of his marriage. The idea is that, after two days spent there, he returned broken by fatigue and terribly excited...

His comment: "the most beautiful, elegant and most EROTIC hotel in which I have been EVER!!!".

Now, all depends of you!

Regards, Martin

Belfast
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Toren or Hotel Estherea

Thanks for the replies. The noise issue in the Estherea seems to be due to very thin walls and numerous complaints of guests experiencing tremendous noise above them as people walk about their rooms on the upper floors. If you read through many of the terrible/poor reviews you will see that this seems to be a common complaint.

Still undecided- I do think the Toren is lovely and really boutique but its our first time in Amsterdam and think we'll probably be out exploring most of the time....

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Toren or Hotel Estherea

Erotic?

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,644 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Toren or Hotel Estherea

"If you read through many of the terrible/poor reviews"

It doesn't matter how nice a place is, it will always get some bad reviews. Out of 1255 reviews, 1142, over 90%, have the Estherea as either 'Excellent' or 'Very Good'.

Yes it is an old building. Yes some of the floorboards creak. For some to describe " experiencing tremendous noise" as a result of this is frankly ridiculous.

It is a common mistake to focus on negative reviews a place may get. What you have to do is put those in the overall context.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Toren or Hotel Estherea

Thin walls and upper floor noise is a common complaint for just about any hotel, even very popular ones like the Estherea. It looks like a lovely place. I think it's one of the nicest stretches of building along the Singel.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,644 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Toren or Hotel Estherea

Also, to put things in context, look up the nicest hotel you have ever stayed in anywhere in the world and check the reviews. I'll guarantee it also has some bad reviews.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Toren or Hotel Estherea

The fact is that many will go on and on about how they want an old historic B&B type of hotel but down deep inside the really want the Marriott.

quirky floors, uneven floors, floors that creek or make noise when people walk, ,showers with squeegies to mop up the floor, beds that are pushed together to make a double, the list goes on and on.

now there are in fact bad hotels to be found.

But people that opt for a old old 2 star and then complain that the building looks old and dated or the stairs are steep , or that there is no bell man to take yours bags up 4 flights of stairs are just people that are clueless as to what they are buying.

Or my fav------complaints that they saw red lights near their hotel

so many of the reviews I have read are from clueless people that wanted something but bought something totally different and then complained.

Belfast
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Toren or Hotel Estherea

I sincerely hope that last post wasn's aimed at me as I'd originally asked for advice on a small traditional hotel.

We love older, authentic properties with all the quirks and have no issue with a few squeaky floorboards etc. The issues reported by other travelers were of being able to hear full conversations in the rooms ajoining and stamping noises in above rooms and consequently getting very little sleep.

We are not seeking 'Marriot' style accommodation in the least but obviously getting some sleep (a basic need) would be preferential.

We changed our minds on the type of accommodation we were looking for several reasons. One was many smaller B&B type places would not accept our reservation as we would be checking in at 9pm. The other was we decided to travel over our wedding anniversary and to therefore spend a bit more on somewhere special.

If we were seeking 'Marriot' style we could have booked a chain hotel and not sought advice (which incidently I did not receive in the last post)!

To those who kindly offered their opinions many thanks- I have just booked the Estherea and can't wait!