We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anything besides 'high speed' from Amsterdam to Antwerp??

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
anything besides 'high speed' from Amsterdam to Antwerp??

Now with the change of train service from Intercity to HighSpeed, etc. and the resulting change in pricing, the fare from Amsterdam to Antwerp is minimum euro 78 round trip. I have checked for alternate days around our time there, but the website is not offering any lower fares (presumably sold out, darn!). So, is there any other way to secure a lower price ticket, via a different train routing, or will we just have to 'suck it up' and pay euro 78?

Ideas, anyone?

(this would be for just a day trip to/from Amsterdam)

Thanks

Carolynn

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anything besides 'high speed' from Amsterdam to Antwerp??

When are you traveling? Have you tried looking at the Thalys site? If booked well in advance it can be cheaper than the new Fyra service.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,204 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: anything besides 'high speed' from Amsterdam to Antwerp??

i beleive i read on here that you can IC to roosendaal..then switch to fyra from there..or belgian IC..im not sure...its confusing..

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anything besides 'high speed' from Amsterdam to Antwerp??

I read that as well, and actually yesterday I was online looking at ns.nl site, etc to price it out, but I could not get a price from Amsterdam to Roosdaal....I could get one from Roosdaal to Antwerp...though. The site just said...your trip cannot be booked online....well I just wanted the price!

Any hints as to get the price?

Thanks

Carolynn

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,993 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anything besides 'high speed' from Amsterdam to Antwerp??

The price is €16,40 from Roosendaal to Antwerp round trip. You can book online here:

b-europe.com/Travel/…stepTravelWish

Amsterdam to Roosendaal is € 19,40 each way so around €56 in total. You can also try the Eurolines or Megabus. You can get the Thalys from €25 each way if you book in advance.

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anything besides 'high speed' from Amsterdam to Antwerp??

Could you provide me the link to see fares/times for the Amsterdam Roosdaal? My links didn't show prices...I saw schedule....that is all.

Thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,457 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anything besides 'high speed' from Amsterdam to Antwerp??

Just to clarify: Roosendaal to Antwerp is an hourly, slow, local train. Indeed no other options than Fyra and Thalys as for quick trains; and both do NOT stop between Rotterdam and Antwerp.

A Fyra between Breda and Antwerp is 'considered', the tracks are there, but for now held up due to budget fights between the relevant parties.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,993 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anything besides 'high speed' from Amsterdam to Antwerp??

www.ns.nl

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anything besides 'high speed' from Amsterdam to Antwerp??

Thanks everyone..... First .... typing from my cell phone I should have typed "Roosendaal" not what I have posted.... aargh.... AND, looking at the connection times, and hassles.... even though we would be saving some money going via Roosendaal, I think we will just go directly on the high speed for convenience. I will keep looking for lower pre book fares, though.

Thanks to all of you!

Carolynn

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,993 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anything besides 'high speed' from Amsterdam to Antwerp??

You can get a round trip on the Eurolines bus for €21. Takes three hours so not that much more than the train.

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: anything besides 'high speed' from Amsterdam to Antwerp??

Balou1999 ....we will be there the first week of January... I've tried different days, etc. since we are flexible. Actually, it isn't a big deal if we aren't able to get to Antwerp.... we missed it last year when we were in Brussels for a long weekend, and thought it would be nice to go there. There will be other opportunties to get to Antwerp, however!

RonaldoC - I will check out the Eurolines bus .... the Thalys was (obviously) very quick, and we only wanted to do a quick day trip to Antwerp. So, sitting on a bus for 3 hours +/- may not make it worth while.... similar to doing that connection over Roosendaal.

Thanks again for all the help!

Carolynn