We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whirlwind Amsterdam - Nov 29 - Dec 2

Dallas
Level Contributor
91 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Whirlwind Amsterdam - Nov 29 - Dec 2

We are looking tips from our fellow TA travelers for our upcoming trip to Amsterdam. We land from the USA via London on Thursday, Nov 29 at Schiphol airport and rush off on Sunday, Dec 2 early morning. We are booked at Estherea Hotel with a nice room overlooking the canal.

For must-see sights - I have the Anne Frank House, Rijksmuseum, and Hermitage (Van Gogh) on the list. We love contemporary art and a well done museum on just about any subject. Any tips to steer us away from these choices or other not-to-miss spots? If you know a good local artist - we are always interest in buying contemporary artwork for home!

For food - I have La Rive, De Kas, MAX, Zaza's, and Brasserie Vlaming as some good foodie spots. Any better tips or suggestions from this list. We only have 3 nights to dine.

Logisitics - don't be shy in sharing any other tips to help make our journey easier. I think we will buy a 72 hour commuter pass but skip the city museum pass.

Appreciate all of the helpful tips for our trip.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whirlwind Amsterdam - Nov 29 - Dec 2

really, i cant see where i can add anything to your agenda..just save time for wandering around aimlessly and explore

Dallas
Level Contributor
91 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whirlwind Amsterdam - Nov 29 - Dec 2

@steveftw - Thank you. Good to hear from another Texan. We are in Dallas. Any thoughts regarding the museum pass? I think it is called iamsterdam and runs about 60E for 72 hours. I haven't figured out if it covers the Anne frank, Rijksmuseum, Stedelijk or Hermitage musuems.

Do you live in AMS or here in the states?

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whirlwind Amsterdam - Nov 29 - Dec 2

www.amsterdam.info/museums/museumkaart/.

The I Amsterdam may not be useful as you are able to walk almost anywhere without using public transport. The museumkart would cover your visit to the 4 places you mentioned in post # 2. You would still need to make reservations for the Anne Frank House. The Museum of the city of Amsterdam is also a place worth visiting and covered by the Museumkart. We visited in September end and bought the Museumkart at the New Church in Dam Square where there is rarely a crowd.

Dallas
Level Contributor
91 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whirlwind Amsterdam - Nov 29 - Dec 2

@pontevecchio59 - Thank you for the quick response. I will check out the Museum of the city of Amsterdam. Also, thank you for the tip regarding Anne Frank. Do I go online to complete the time reservation?

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whirlwind Amsterdam - Nov 29 - Dec 2

I am sorry to have been a bit premature in the sense that you can book a timed slot for the AF house for a couple of Euros if you already have the Amsterdamkart which is only available once you are in Amsterdam. We had already booked the AF House separately with a timed entry and we bought the Amsterdamkart on arrival and during our 6 day stay that was financially viable for us since we visited many museums during our stay. I would not stress too much on which Card etc.. Unless you are going to visit again within the year I would think given your time frame you may be better off getting the tickets and slots online for the p[laces mentioned in post #2 before you arrive and give the Amsterdamkart a miss.

Dallas
Level Contributor
91 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whirlwind Amsterdam - Nov 29 - Dec 2

@pontevecchio59 - Thanks for the clarification. We are excited to be coming to Amsterdam for our first trip. What was your favorite restaurant? We are staying at Hotel Estherea.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
719 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whirlwind Amsterdam - Nov 29 - Dec 2

I'm back in New England now but had the great pleasure of living in Dallas and Plano back in the 80's! Anyway, my husband and I stayed at the Hotel Estherea this summer and loved it. My one tip, which was mentioned already, would be to go to the Ann Frank website and get tickets in advance so you can bypass the long lines. Our favorite restaurant was De Belhamel, which sits at the junction of 2 canals, within walking distance of your hotel.

Dallas
Level Contributor
91 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whirlwind Amsterdam - Nov 29 - Dec 2

@Molly452 - Thank you for writing with some tips and recommendations. I will definitely look up the restaurant. We love good food (obvious from my waistline).

I am looking at purchasing the Museumkaart. For 44.95€ the pass covers the four museums we want to see (Anne Frank 9.5€, Rijksmuseum 14€, Stedelijk 15€, and Hermitage/Van Gogh 18.25€) and will save us a few bucks.

I see from the Anne Frank that we schedule a 30 minute introduction on-line for 5€ and use the Museumkaart for entry. I also wrote to the Hermitage and Stedelijk to set up a docent tour of the space.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
450 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whirlwind Amsterdam - Nov 29 - Dec 2

we also bought the museumkaart at the new church on dam square, and agreed - no waiting time on line.

the pocketbook museum turned out to be a different and very enjoyable place to visit, also on museum card and centrally located.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
8 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whirlwind Amsterdam - Nov 29 - Dec 2

For Anne Frank, book tickets online and then you don't have to wait in line. I think it's true Goethe museums too.