We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adapters

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Topic
Adapters

Hi, Im traveling to amsterdam soon from the US, and i wanted to know if anyone knows of a good plug adapter? Im going to Italy also.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adapters

Continental Europe uses a 2 round pin configuration. Adapters are available from any of the big box stores or even cheaper on Amazon.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,080 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adapters

http://tinyurl.com/bu9xczd

6 for less than $2.

I've used these for years.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Adapters

Adapter or transformer? They're very different things. Most chargers, like for phones and so on, will work on 120V and 230V (just check the label) so all you need is a cheap adapter. Something like a hairdryer, on the other hand needs a transformer, though it's quite entertaining for a second or two if you don't bother.

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adapters

ilas65, I'd like to jump in here. I have and adapter that we are taking for charging our smart phone and cameras. I thought I could use it for our hair dryer, but I am gathering from you that I need a transformer instead. Is this correct?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,205 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Adapters

for anything except cell phone, laptop, most cameras you need the transformer and plug adapter..your phone only needs the plug adapter

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adapters

... unless you buy a dual voltage hair dryer before leaving. You can use it both in Europe and North America (it has a button for 110v and one for 220v) without the need for a transformer.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adapters

Depending on what kinds of hotels you will be staying at, most hotels offer hairdryers in their rooms which would save lugging both a hairdyer and a transformer. Pretty much all electronic devices have dual voltage chargers but it is still wise to read the small print on each charger to be doubly sure.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Adapters

Charlene51 - smart phone, laptop and camera chargers will almost certainly be 100V - 230V (look for a label, it should say "input 100V-230V AC" or something like that). All 3 of my Canon camera battery chargers say that, as do my BlackBerry, my laptop and my wife's iPhone, and we've used them in the USA, Asia and Europe without any problems.

For a hair dryer, as Eirelover says, you'd probably need one that's specifically dual voltage. Unless you're sure it is, don't use just an adapter, or you may have a fried hair dryer. But as lennybruce says, most hotels have hair dryers anyway.

9. Re: Adapters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 22:16