We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Amsterdam a safe city to visit

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
Is Amsterdam a safe city to visit

Just back from Amsterdam and shocked by being threatened by gangs of 'Feral Youths' roaming the streets shouting abuse and threatening violence in English and ultimately throwing large lumps of ice at us. We were two groups of pensioners one who has to walk with a stick and this is what we had to put up with, not in some down town suburb but on Beethovenstratt which is generally regarded as a fairly nice area. When we told the concierge of the hotel as the doors were also battered lumps with ice that the police would only attend if we suffered physical injury. Having now read what happened to a youth football referee is Amsterdam still a safe city to visit?

Best Seller
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Marken and...
2,313 reviews
from US$68.40*
Best Seller
Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum Amsterdam...
Likely To Sell Out
Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields...
1,677 reviews
from US$73.40*
Bruges Day Trip from Amsterdam
943 reviews
from US$118.10*
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,668 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Amsterdam a safe city to visit

I can only speak for myself and the people I know in real time.

Over 20 trips for me. Normally for 12-13 days at a time.

Lots and lots of walking at all hours of the day and night in all inner canal areas.

I have never had a problem. I have never seen a problem.

And I am normally alone and of a certain age like yourself.

I am not saying its impossible that problems ever happen.

Just never to me and never to anyone I know first hand.

For me it' as safe as any big city I have ever visited.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Amsterdam a safe city to visit

Dare one ask if these feral youths were Dutch?

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Amsterdam a safe city to visit

There is no such animal as a completely guaranteed safe city "any where" in the world any more unless you have just discovered Utopia, however Amsterdam is one of the safest cities in Europe on balance, but bad things can happen in Amsterdam just like any other city if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,180 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Amsterdam a safe city to visit

sounds like a bunch of drunk soccer hooligans...sorry to see that happen but hey, it happens..even in amsterdam. it is not some crimeless utopia as some people like to claim. but it is certainly safer than most major capitol cities in the world..

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Amsterdam a safe city to visit

Their age was around 13-17 white and they were Dutch and probably not drunk and judging by the abuse probably 'Right Wing' in their political views. We were not the only people getting targeted, locals were also experiencing it, and unfortunately out of out 4 days on two nights around 10pm on the way back to our hotel this is what we encountered .

We are all well experienced 'City Break' travelers and normally have our December breaks in Eastern Europe city's , but after a great , but tour company organised trip in the spring to Amsterdam, thought this would be a refreshing change from the Normal pre Christmas trips we had been on in the last 20 years to explore Amsterdam at our own pace. We had a really good time and were planing another return trip again in the spring, but these incidents on more than one occasion and now reading of what happened to the football referee, the comments from the hotel as to how the police deal with these youths now makes us feel the back streets of Naples could be safer option.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,368 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Amsterdam a safe city to visit

The referee incident was in Almere not Amsterdam. An unfortunate incident indeed but hardly relevant to you or tourist in general unless you take up the line in a local football match.

Local feral youths throwing lumps of ice. Do you mean snowballs? I live around the corner from the Beethovenstraat and yes it is a nice area. Not defending them throwing snowballs at pensioners but don't you think this is more high junks than high Chaparral?

If you return in warmer weather then the snow will have gone (hopefully)

Edited: 09 December 2012, 09:11
Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Amsterdam a safe city to visit

Yes, at the risk of sounding like a politician, it's just an incident.

When there is snow for the first time, everybody goes a little bit crazy.

And it also goes the other way around. Since the snowfall a few days ago, there has been reports of a man in Hilversum beating up a 10 year old for throwing snowballs at his car and a guy threatening some kids in Vught with a rifle for throwing snowballs to his appartment.

That's all.

Just incidents.

What you experienced is normal, just some testosteron filled adolecents fooling around.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,534 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Amsterdam a safe city to visit

I think that BL_Henkie might be right.

When we had the first snow some days ago, there have been hordes of kids and youngsters, throwing sbow balls on each other but sometimes on passengers too. A snow fight is pretty popular in Germany too. And if the passengers told them to let it be - somtimes the snowballs are very firm - they began to rant too, sometimes.

Of course I would never say, that there cannot be any really serious and bad incident in Amsterdam, as well as in every other city of the world, but during my frequent stays at Amsterdam since two years I never felt unsafe anyway. And I´m an older woman too...

london
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Amsterdam a safe city to visit

As a latter 50 plus bracket done a heavy amount of travelling over many years and know Holland well especially living there for over a year in the 80's and how they go about their daily lives and have to say its one of the most friendliest places ever experienced (In general). The Dutch being so bi-lingual and happy to have a chat and be helpful to so many people, just love how so laid back they all seem, it was probably one of the highlights of my youth propped up in a real brown cafe normally in the West (Randstad) talking to dutch strangers and having such good chat and drink with many. Even found Overijssel way more friendlier, maybe at that time not so many tourists, although the cycle paths of Twente were awesome.

Like anywhere there are a few 'bad apples' take away that and some, although far from all the football hooligans and holidaying in Nederland is for many a most warm and treasured time.

FL
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Amsterdam a safe city to visit

Are u kidding? Its the safest place in the world , where one feels safe even at 3am in the red light district.

The only time i had an incident was acting like a tourist on the damrak filming with my camera phoned and i happened to catch some youth in my angle. I knew this because i got something thrown at me and this youth curses yelling at me for filming him. It was NOT a Dutch youth, it was an Arab immigrant. There u go...