We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam to Germany

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam to Germany

We will be in Amsterdam for a couple of days in March. Then we were headed to Germany, specifically to the town of Osnabruck, which I believe is just over the German border. We will have a German rail pass for Germany but we are wondering what is the best way to get from Amsterdam to Osnabruck, Germany? Do we just buy train tickets in Amsterdam for that leg of travel when we are in Amsterdam or should I buy something ahead of time? Any idea of costs? I don't suppose our German rail pass would work or add any sort of discount for travel from Amsterdam to Germany? If it's best to just buy them in Amsterdam, would I be able to purchase them at the Amsterdam Central station?

Thank you so much for any advice or help!!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,613 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam to Germany

Buy the ticket on the NSHispeed site or the bahn site in advance or you will pay more. There might be a reduction for the rail pass (which pass??)

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam to Germany

Thank you!!! We will have the 5 day German pass. I think it allows us to travel all over Germany and to Salzburg as well. I trust I can use it as well in Bavaria? So many talk about a "Bavaria" pass. I guess I can just use my bahn.de 5 day pass and travel to all these places??

Can I buy a ticket on the bahn.de site if I'm starting my travel in Amsterdam and coming into Germany (Osnabruck)? I thought I read something that the trains in The Netherlands were always the same price just based on distance?

Oh goodness, now I confused on what to do!!!! Thank for any help!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam to Germany

The price is fixed for domestic travel. And yes you can use the bahn site to book travel that includes departure or arrival in Germany.

Your pass should cover Germany entirely including Bavaria.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam to Germany

I believe the "Bavaria" pass you've seen mentioned is a "Lander" pass which is different from the Bahn multi-day passes and only covers parts of southern Germany. As balou says, your multi-day pass covers all of Germany.

bahn.com/i/…germanrailpass.shtml

vs.

bahn.com/i/view/mdb/bahnintern/international…

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
39 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam to Germany

YEA!!!! Thank you all so much!! Do you think it is better and more cost efficient to just buy a ticket at bahn.de or buy a domestic ticket in Amsterdam and travel to the border of The Netherlands/Germany then get on a German train?? We need to get to Osnabruck! Is that even possible???

Do you know if later that week when I'm in Fussen and want to travel to the Austrian side of the Zugspritze, does the German pass cover any of this. It looks like the pass covers close areas like Salzburg but not sure if it covers this portion??

Any help to any of the above is so very much appreciated!!!!!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam to Germany

I don't believe you can purchase tickets for travel entirely outside of Germany on bahn.de. The Dutch travel is the same cost regardless of purchase date so you can buy at the station and then start your German pass when you cross over.

From the page I linked above:

"a German Rail Pass also includes Salzburg (Austria) and Basel (Switzerland)."

So I doubt other locations outside of Germany are covered. (My best guess) The german forums will get you sorted.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,746 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam to Germany

Well, if you book the tickets early in advance you will pay 19 Euro from Amsterdam to Osnabrück.

You can contact "abalada" per PM, he is VERY knowledgable in all questions around tickets ASO. He knows the best connections, fares and discounts (mostly).

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam to Germany

I spent 3 weeks traveling around Germany, to Amsterdam, and Prague in Sept. 2012. I traveled by train and car. I like to experience the various trains and stations, but I'm all about renting a car and driving. Autobahn is great. I have a DB BAHN guide for Regio Bayern. Basically, it shows the train route/stops for the Bavarian Railroad Network. www.bahn.de/bayern

I found the train ticketing system very painful. Even locals have problems purchasing tickets from the machines in the train stations. However, inside the main train stations you will find travel centres where you can get help. You can purchase tickets at the travel centre counters and/or at the ticket machines in the train station. For this area of Germany (Bavaria) the guide lists Bayern-tickets, Regional tickets, Quer-durchs-Land-Tickets, and Schones-Wochenende-Tickets. The map shows the main train hubs of Munich, Augsburg, Regensburg, Nurnberg, Wurzburg, with all surrounding towns. Here we go: Bayern Ticket - 1 person = $22 Euro - $4 for ea. accompanying passenger up to 4. Valid for any number of second class journeys. Valid throughout Bavaria on all regional trains (S-Bahn, underground, trams, buses), and almost all regular bus lines. Valid throughout Bavaria and in Austrian Ausserfern district. Bayern Ticket First Class - $33 Euro for 1 person - $15 ea. accompanying passengers. Regional Tickets - $11 Euro - 1 person - Valid throughout Bavaria on all regional trains operated by DB and other participating railways. Each ticket has additional information about days and times of week it's valid, etc... I realize this is confusing and I can't type the entire booklet (not that it would explain any better) but, I think the train travel is confusing in Europe. I didn't mind taking the slower/older regional trains from the airport to the nearest town, or from the Army base that I was visiting in Graffenwohr, Germany to the nearest main city. But, if I had to travel very far - the high speed trains are the way to go. The best I can describe the rail system is that you would take the ICE high speed/more expensive/faster trains from major city to major city, but you would take the regional trains for stops at those smaller towns. Here is an example of my arrival in Germany (I hope it helps a little): Arrived Frankfurt airport, went to train (DB) information desk inside airport (2 tickets to Mainz HB for $4 Euro ea., followed signs inside the airport to the train area, 25 minute ride w/Mainz being the 3rd stop from the Airport. It was difficult to know which stop we needed to get off at, as the speaker announcement on the train was in German, but a local man on the train spoke English and helped us identify our stop. Mainz train station was great, checked email from internet connection at Starbucks, checked in at our reserved hotel across the street from the station. Left Mainz by train back to Frankfurt airport. Bought tickets from Frankfurt to Cologne, Germany via ICE train for $64 Euro ea. - it was a one hour ride and I could understand which stop was ours this time. Walked and taxi service around Cologne. When leaving Cologne - rented a car at Europcar not far from the train station (cheaper when you rent outside of the airport and train stations and even less expensive in smaller towns) and drove to Amsterdam. I rented a Volkswagen golf for 7 days, traveled 1655 km, used 3 tanks of gas at $58 USD ea., and the rental company put a hold (authorized) my visa card for $634.76 Euro, with my final charge at retun being $378.97 Euro. w/my return being to Europcar in Weiden, Germany. Also, keep in mind that in most cities, right outside of the train station you will find City Centre store fronts on the street. Sorta like visiting a AAA store in the states. You can usually find them across the street from the train stations.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam to Germany

kwest5039, the OP was trying to reach a specific city just across the border.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,215 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amsterdam to Germany

Kwest, what have you been smoking???