We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best use of time

dorset
Level Contributor
179 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Best use of time

We will be in Amsterdam for a long weekend at the end of Feb staying on a houseboat. Can anyone suggest an itinerary as 2 whole days and 2 part days seems a long time but I know how quickly time goes and I want to make the most of it. I do have guide books and have looked on the internet but would like some expert help.

We are a mixed family party ages ranging from 26 to 63!

Many thanks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best use of time

Without you suggesting any interest your family may have its almost impossible to make recommendations. Start with this article from our top questions on the right side of this page. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-s409/Amsterda…

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,957 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best use of time

Seems like a long time? For most of us a long weekend in AMS is a very short period of time.

Your problem will be what not to see. What you cannot fit in.

Start with a canal boat tour. Make that your first stop.

Then figure out what your interests are.

Coffeeshops, pubs, aimless walking the city ( the single most fun thing I do every trip) museums, churches, etc etc etc are just a few of your options.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best use of time

It is surprising where all the time goes to, when wandering around the canals in Amsterdam, and adding in the odd pit stop for a coffee, or a beer, a museum, a church, a window stop lol;

What are already in your plans from your online and guidebook homework? maybe we can add to it, or suggest things to enhance what you already plan to do.

dorset
Level Contributor
179 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best use of time

Will consult with the family on what they would each like to fit into the weekend - for the men I expect it will be beer!

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,933 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best use of time

Well if you need beer advice then look no further ;-)

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
10,260 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best use of time

MrJohnMD -

"Coffeeshops, pubs, aimless walking the city ( the single most fun thing I do every trip)"

Love it. The more I read your posts the more I like them.

dorset
Level Contributor
179 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best use of time

RonaldoC

What beer advice do you have to offer my men say!!?

8. Re: Best use of time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 07:15